The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
happygill85
Course Students

Took the GMAT today.. quite disappointed

by happygill85 Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:57 am

Hi guys.. I must admit, I am probably least like most of you, I didnt follow the class schedule to the point, but nonetheless, I did go to all my classes, I read all my books and attempted the practice questions in each book.

When I started, I was in the mid 500's and I took about 10 practice exams, and they were consistently above 600 - 650. Given that this wasn't my best, and I was applying to a school with a deadline sooner than most of the schools I'm applying to, I wanted to take the test for the first time and be ok with sending a 650. I was told that the MGMAT practice exams are harder than real gmat questions..

So this morning.. when I finally went in to take my exam ( I was anxious to take it and I've always been a good test taker ) I was wondering why Math was so ridiculously easy. I thought I was getting everything almost right.. I was consistently at 80% percentile of my practice exams --- to my great disappointment - I scored at 20% percentile in math.

My verbal started off lower than math, I'm pretty good and I love math - so I put in a lot of work into my verbal. I was consistently scoring around 70% on my last 5 practice exams - to my surprise I scored at 23%!

I felt VERY VERY disappointed, I was in disbelief. I thought for a second it was a joke - it was my first time taking the exam, so I really dont know how the grading screen is set up. I thought it was a sample / demo - but when they gave me my print out - I couldn't hold it in. Today was a very bad day for me.

Do you guys have any suggestions, in terms of maybe inquiring to see my exam answers? Do you know if I can ask them to look at it? Or does this happen in reality?? But being 200 points off from my average CAT score - is REALLY REALLY REALLY ridiculous. I dont know what to say, but I hope to hear from you guys..

Thank you..
P.S. I'm going to start again tomorrow to study - and I plan to work only on all the official guide questions, then the two books - Verbal and Math advanced .. and take the CAT exams in the middle of all this. I also plan to buy more practice exams - I tried to reason to myself that maybe the practice exam questions were repeating and that's why I was doing well on my CAT's. I appreciate any input.
jenniferpupa
Course Students

Re: Took the GMAT today.. quite disappointed

by jenniferpupa Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:45 pm

Did you go in for a post-test assessment?
happygill85
Course Students

by happygill85 Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:51 pm

No I didnt. I am taking it again tomorrow, but I've made my mind on which school I will go to. I had an interview with their Director of Admissions and she's aware of my score. I think I am happy with however I will do this time around, as long as I go to school this year.

What are your plans now?

I think depending on how I shape my next 6 months, I will definitely retake the exam even when I'm in school already. I just want to get a good score and prove to myself that the first score didnt do justice. I'll keep you posted on that.
jenniferpupa
Course Students

by jenniferpupa Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:02 pm

I, too, received a score much different than any of my practice tests - almost like it was a fluke. How did you go about studying again for round 2?
happygill85
Course Students

by happygill85 Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Honestly, when I scheduled the second test - I thought to myself that I will take a practice test everyday for a month. Unfortunately, with the job that I do, I work 70 hours a week including Saturdays. It was impossible for me to do that.

I really didnt study - and today I dont regret it. I think the big reason why I didnt perform well was anxiety - I was really nervous the day of the first exam. I think I've learned the material and it didnt come to me that day because I overworked myself the last few days before I took it.

I purchased the gmat focus exams - for math. I took one so far, and I did well. I am planning on doing the 2 that are left of those exams today -
I will go through my CAT exams - and practice questions from before - I will focus on data sufficiency primarily on new questions.
Then I will take 2 practice exams ( 1 today ) and 1 tomorrow morning.

Depending on how I do on those, I will most likely review more tomorrow half day - my exam's tomorrow afternoon.

When are you retaking yours? Are you planning on going to school this year?
If you know where you want to go - I think you should spend time in connecting to those schools - I find that I got comfort in knowing schools want me regardless of my score - because there are stronger points of my application that I probably overlooked. So that helps too!
jenniferpupa
Course Students

by jenniferpupa Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm curious if you score tomorrow what you were scoring on your practice tests. Feel free to let me know afterwards!

I, too, think a lot of it was nerves. But it was also creating a mastery and then not getting questions on what I mastered. And then i got three questions about compound interest and never really paid attention to that in the class.

Good luck!
sanyalpritish
Students

by sanyalpritish Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:44 pm

Good Luck.. Hope you get a Gr8 score.

Which school do you wanna apply
ryan.taliaferro

by ryan.taliaferro Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:21 am

I was scoring between 650 and 700 on practice exams, and today I took the real thing and got a 590. I felt like the quant on the real test was easier than the MGMAT quant, and that the verbal was slightly tougher. Overall I felt good about the test and was shocked to see my score. So, you're not alone.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Also, is there anyway to see where you went wrong on the real test? I didn't hear anything about it from the test center but on this thread it sounds like you might be able to...

Thanks
Scott.Wachs
Course Students

by Scott.Wachs Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:32 am

I took the gmat yesterday. i scored 44 in math which was very about average with what i've been scoring. But for the second straight time I bombed verbal. I scored a 27. On practice exams I haven't scored below a 30 since my 1st Cat exam. This also happened on my first try of the gmat. I scored a 42 on math and 22 on verbal. I felt very confident about the verbal this time. All i was really looking for was above a 30. The last three practice exams I scored 37, 33, and 36 in verbal. I see that this has happened to others.

Any suggestions?
vo10
Students

by vo10 Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:52 pm

I am so glad that I am not alone on this! My practice test the day before the exam was a 690 and I got a 570 on the exam. Needless to say...I am crushed!

How do you go about requesting a post test assessment? I find it ridiculous that all of my practice exams were over 600 (with two over 670) and I bombed the actual exam.

Please provide any help that you can. I have no time to study and must retake the exam.
ccataries
Students

by ccataries Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:21 pm

I've taken several companies' practice tests including Princeton Review, Kaplan and MGMT. I think MGMT offers great materials and is a good source for practice tests, though I find that the practice CAT scores I received were slightly inflated. When I took the GMAC prep CD practice tests, my scores were more within the range of my real score.

I would subtract 50 points from MGMT practice tests.