The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
Ruben

Took test today- 640-

by Ruben Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:50 pm

Hi Stacey,

First of all I want to thank you for answering my questions over the past weeks. I just took the test today scoring 640 (M36,V41) - 48% and 93%. The score resembles the two previous scores, as fars proportion between math and verbal, I took two years ago. I am not native English speaker and I feel good about my score in verbal that I studied very little by thee way. I am, however, puzzeled by the Math part. I have been taking MGMAT tests (and by the way, from this monday I am inrolled in a MGMAT course) and my math was always around 39-43. I also felt fairly confident during the tests. But like a curse, and after 5 months of preparation, Ithe score came back almost exactly as 2 years ago.

I am planning, as I mentioned, to start a class with virtual calss MGMAT, but..I just needed to write this post somwhere and hopefully hear if I am the only person in the world whose score is so odd!!!
Laura

I'm in the same boat...

by Laura Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:23 pm

Ruben,

I empathize with you. I'm sorry that you ended up below your desired score. I aslo took the exam last month after a three month preparation (MGMAT Virtual class, lots of OG problems, GMAT Prep Tests and all the best practices) and was dumbfounded by my poor math performance. I too, did above my average on the verbal section of the test - 80th percentile - but did way below my average on the math (57% percentile!). My score ended up at 620, but I had been scoring between 77th and 86th percentile on the math in my practice tests (MGMAT CATs and GMAT Prep). I got the first math question wrong, which I'm convinced got me off to the wrong start both psychologically and in GMAT computer adaptive terms. Even though I did see difficult questions later in the exam, I would get a surprise easy question here and there.

Anyway, that was a month ago, and after a short period of mourning and disappointment, I decided that I had no choice but to retake it in a month. I don't know if it was the best decision, but I'm taking the exam next week. I'm scoring between 680 - 710, but due to my bad experience with the actual exam, I don't always trust that the score is reflective of how I will perform on the actual test. I have also lost that initial momentum I had before my first experience. At times, I have to talk myself into practicing and keeping a positive attitude. Despite it all, I'm still hoping for an improved score.

I'm hestitant to say that I recommend taking the exam in a month, but I do highly recommend the virtual MGMAT class, it was very helpful in my preparation.

I wonder what MGMAT has to say about how and when to retake the exam.
Ruben

by Ruben Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the message. I did sign up for the virtual class and Ihope with that to crack the math part. This test is puzzling and is making me waste too much time I could use to make more money=0

Best luck with your exam!

Let me know how it goes!

Ciao
Laura

Horrifying GMAT Experience

by Laura Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:16 pm

I'm back on this forum after a three month hiatus from a nightmare GMAT experience. To say the least, my second go at the GMAT was a walk down GMAT hell.

The AWA section went well, I finished on time and quickly raised my hand for my break. The proctor came over and as I watched her log me out, I noticed that she clicked on a statement that seemed to say unscheduled break. I brought it to her attention and reminded her that I was taking a scheduled break. She assured me that she had logged me out correctly. I didn't think much of it, afterall, it was HER JOB.

But I had thought right, when I returned from the break to take the math section, the clock read 68 minutes! It was the worst feeling ever! In hindsight, I should've canceled and left the center, but I didn't. The proctor didn't even understand what she had done and I wasn't about to waste another second on her. Somehow, I managed to control my roller coaster of emotions and concentrate on the problems. My heart was pounding and my hands were shaking, but I was adamant about going through with the math section. I cleared myself of emotion during the math section, until the second break, that's when it hit me, but I stayed the course.

Today, I don't know why and how I sat through that test. (Proof of my determination? Yeah right, adcom wouldn't buy that). But, I left the center with the same 620 I had scored a month earlier, with a higher math score too (M/70% percentile and V/68% percentile).

I filed a complaint to GMAC and asked to take the exam within a month, but by the time GMAC completed its investigation, three weeks had passed. I did receive a free GMAT, which I have yet to take - since then, work picked up and life's other obligations took over. Now, I'm trying to get back into it, but it's just so frustrating. Anyway, I guess the moral of the story is to keep an eye on the proctor.

Good luck to all you gmat-takers.