Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
GMAT Fever

To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafoo

by GMAT Fever Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 pm

To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafood, suppliers are growing fish twice as fast as their natural growth rate, cutting their feed allotment by nearly half and raising them on special diets

A) their natural growth rate, cutting their feed allotment
B) their natural growth rate, their feed allotment cut
C) growing them naturally, cutting their feed allotment
D) they grow naturally, cutting their feed allotment
E) they grow naturally, with their feed allotment cut

I initially selected C, but that is incorrect according to GmatPrep. OA is D. Can someone explain the difference between C and D and why is D is correct. Also what is "their, they, them" referring to? What is plural - fish?

Thanks!
shun

by shun Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:14 am

Cutting in d completes the parallel in that ends in ing...also plural of fish is fish.
GMAT Fever

by GMAT Fever Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:43 pm

shun Wrote:Cutting in d completes the parallel in that ends in ing...also plural of fish is fish.

But cutting in C is placed in the same place. Can someone clarify between C and D? Thanks!
cutlass

by cutlass Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:47 am

C) growing them naturally, cutting their feed allotment

growing them naturally doesn't make much logical sense. You 'let them grow naturally' , i.e., without intervention.

The fact that there is no human intervention is clear here.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:54 am

cutlass Wrote:C) growing them naturally, cutting their feed allotment

growing them naturally doesn't make much logical sense. You 'let them grow naturally' , i.e., without intervention.

The fact that there is no human intervention is clear here.

agreed on all counts.
well done.
christina.susie.wong
Students

Re: To meet the rapidly rising market demand for fish and seafoo

by christina.susie.wong Mon May 10, 2010 9:52 pm

1) Why is a wrong?
2) is there a difference between their, them and they in this question that makes one right over the other?
3) Are there grammatical errors with A and C or is it wrong just based on meaning?
vivekcall81
Students

by vivekcall81 Tue May 11, 2010 10:33 am

one question.. are the pronoun they and thier are correctly refering to thier antecedent. i am confused beacause 'They', is close to 'suppliers' so, it may refer to supplier.
please clarify
akhp77
Students

by akhp77 Wed May 19, 2010 9:31 am

I have eliminated B, C, and E.

Can someone explain difference between A and D?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:33 am

christina.susie.wong Wrote:1) Why is a wrong?

in this case, you have a problem of redundancy:
a RATE can't be FAST.
* the rate can be high;
* the increase itself can be fast.
similarly,
a height can't be tall (a person can be tall, or a height can be greater than...)
a bank account can't be rich (a person can be rich, or a bank account can contain a large amount of money)
etc.

lest you think this is just a matter of excessive nitpicking on our part, this difference is corroborated by several official problems.

2) is there a difference between their, them and they in this question that makes one right over the other?

each of those is actually used correctly.
"their" is a possessive.
"them" is the object of a verb (in the case where it's used here, it's the object of "growing")
"they" is a subject.

actually, in the thousands of official problems that i've seen, i have seen a total of ZERO problems in which a pronoun is incorrect because it's in the wrong case (subject/object/possessive). for instance, i have NEVER seen a problem in which a sentence is wrong because it uses, say, "them" instead of "they". so at this point i would bet good money that they will never test that.

the closest thing i've ever seen is a couple of problems that incorrectly use "it" where the context would dictate "itself", or vice versa.

3) Are there grammatical errors with A and C or is it wrong just based on meaning?

just meaning.

the meaning problem with (a) is explained above.

(c) suggests that even natural growth still has to be performed by the suppliers.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:37 am

vivekcall81 Wrote:one question.. are the pronoun they and thier are correctly refering to thier antecedent. i am confused beacause 'They', is close to 'suppliers' so, it may refer to supplier.
please clarify

this is a good point -- the correct answer to this problem, yet again, contains a pronoun that is technically ambiguous.

however, as we've seen again and again and again and again, not all ambiguous pronouns are incorrect!

so here's the simplest way of making the decision:

1) if you see an AMBIGUOUS PRONOUN that is REPLACED BY THE CORRECT NOUN in OTHER ANSWER CHOICES, then ELIMINATE the ambiguous pronoun and keep the specific noun.
for an example, see problem 68 in the blue verbal supplement, in which "them" is split against "these companies".

HOWEVER,
2) if you see an ambiguous pronoun that is NOT replaced by the correct noun
in any of the other answer choices, then DON'T eliminate!
for an example, see problem 21 in the blue verbal supplement (in which the correct answer contains a technically ambiguous pronoun).
or see the problem in this thread!

also:
in general, OBJECTS OF PREPOSITIONS are very rarely the antecedents of pronouns. (i won't say never -- but rarely enough that, if you have to make a random guess, this is probably a pretty good standard by which to make such a guess.)
for instance:
if you have "the cat in the box", then it is very unlikely that a pronoun will be able to stand for "box".
see #29 in the blue verbal supplement, choices (a) and (b).

--

in the problem at hand, "they" is not split against "(those) fish", so we can't confidently eliminate it.
jn.mohit
Students

by jn.mohit Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi,

The answer to the question and the logic that should be used for such question is not clear at all.

Can you please explain the answer. What is wrong with 'C' ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:51 am

jn.mohit Wrote:Can you please explain the answer. What is wrong with 'C' ?

"growing them naturally" is illogical.
in this construction, "them" (= fish) is the OBJECT of "growing". this implies that someone else must be growing the fish -- which doesn't make sense if we're talking about natural growth.

notice that the correct answer contains "they grow naturally", a more accurate description of what actually happens -- the fish just grow, by themselves.
ashish-mohan
Students

by ashish-mohan Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:26 am

Hi Ron, can’t understand how D can be correct? MGMAT SC guide says that a pronoun in a clause can be thought of as referring to a noun playing a similar role in a parallel clause. In the case (option D), the clauses we have are:

1. Suppliers are growing fish
2. They grow naturally

So, to me, "˜they’ in D is referring to "˜suppliers’. While logically this doesn’t make sense, I recollect another post of yours which says that logic cannot compensate for grammatical error.

Please clarify.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:31 am

ashish-mohan Wrote:Hi Ron, can’t understand how D can be correct? MGMAT SC guide says that a pronoun in a clause can be thought of as referring to a noun playing a similar role in a parallel clause. In the case (option D), the clauses we have are:

1. Suppliers are growing fish
2. They grow naturally

So, to me, "˜they’ in D is referring to "˜suppliers’. While logically this doesn’t make sense, I recollect another post of yours which says that logic cannot compensate for grammatical error.

Please clarify.

did you see this post (which is about three posts up, on this same thread)?
post40400.html#p40400

gmac is frustratingly inconsistent on the topic of pronouns and their antecedents -- i.e., it's pretty much impossible to formulate simple rules about pronoun ambiguity -- so that is a nice workaround.
it's very important to know that there are lots and lots and lots (and lots) of correct official answers that technically contain ambiguous pronouns.
ashish-mohan
Students

by ashish-mohan Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 am

Thanks Ron. Appreciate your response and share your frustration:(