Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
vanquish1984
Students

Though most people take it for granted now, the nationwide

by vanquish1984 Thu May 27, 2010 12:59 am

Hi Instructors

I have a question regarding the explanation provided in one of the ans choice. Ans E for the question below is a wrong answer, and the explanation given in the CAT centers on the incorrect usage of "and".

However, i also eliminated E on the basis of unclear pronoun referent. "it" i thought should refer to specific noun and not an idea or general concept, as ans E has demonstrably done.

Could you advise if my assessment is correct or flawed especially in regard to GMAT's preference.

Many thanks

Question
Though most people take it for granted now, the nationwide admission of students to colleges and universities based on academic merit is a relatively recent phenomenon, beginning only after World War II.

E)Most people now take for granted that colleges and universities admit students nationally based on academic merit, and it
tim
Course Students

Re: Though most people take it for granted now, the nationwide

by tim Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:00 pm

The pronoun is not an issue. Many sentences on the GMAT use "it" idiomatically, as in "it is raining", so there are rare exceptions where "it" doesn't need an antecedent. In this case though, i think you could say that the admission process is the antecedent you're looking for..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
chitrangada.maitra
Course Students

by chitrangada.maitra Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:04 pm

I have a question regarding option C

The original sentence is:

Though most people take it for granted now, the nationwide admission of students to colleges and universities based on academic merit is a relatively recent phenomenon, beginning only after World War II.

Option C states:

Now taken for granted by most people, colleges and universities admitting students based on their academic merit

The answer explanation says:
(C) Here, the modifier is adjacent to the subject "colleges and universities," incorrectly suggesting that colleges and universities are taken for granted as opposed to the admission process.

My question is: If the modifier issue were resolved, would

OPTION F: "colleges and universities admitting students based on their academic merit is a relatively new phenomenon, beginning only after world war II" be a grammatically correct sentence?

This is exactly the same as C without the modifier issue.

Looking forward to a response
Thanks,
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:15 am

No. "admitting students" is modifying "colleges and universities", which means your option F indicates that "colleges and universities ... is a good idea"..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
s.ashwin.rao
Students

by s.ashwin.rao Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Here is the complete question:

A) Though most people take it for granted now, the nationwide admission of students to colleges and universities based on academic merit
B) Though it is now taken for granted by most people, the admission of nationwide students to colleges and universities based on academic merit
C) Now taken for granted by most people, colleges and universities admitting students based on their academic merit
D) Most take them for granted now, but the admission of nationwide students to colleges and universities based on their academic merit
E) Most people now take for granted that colleges and universities admit students nationally based on academic merit, and it

OA: A

But why is the 'it' in A OK? I tend to get very confused with this 'it'...could anyone kindly clarify when 'it' is wrong and when 'it' is correct.

Thanks.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:11 pm

Ashwin, see Tim's post above. Do you need further clarification?
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
s.ashwin.rao
Students

by s.ashwin.rao Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:19 am

Frankly Nelson...I think don't think tim's post helped me...I would be very much thankful if provide me with some rules or direct me to some link as to when 'it' is ok and when not.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:31 pm

s.ashwin.rao Wrote:Frankly Nelson...I think don't think tim's post helped me...I would be very much thankful if provide me with some rules or direct me to some link as to when 'it' is ok and when not.

That's a tough question. I did find this link for you: http://www.writingcentre.uottawa.ca/hyp ... onref.html
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
gmatalongthewatchtower
Course Students

by gmatalongthewatchtower Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:12 am

Official explanation for E) is "Using the word "and" at the end of the underline makes the meaning of this sentence less clear by failing to draw an appropriate contrast between the current state of taking the nationwide admission of students for granted and the fact that it is a relatively recent phenomenon. A more appropriate word choice would be "but": "Most people now take for granted..., but it is a relatively recent phenomenon."

My question is - What is the antecedent of "it" in "but it..." ? The only option I see here is "academic merit" or "merit" because academic is an adjective. But that won't be right. Correct ?

Thanks
Voodoo
abhi.lead
Students

by abhi.lead Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:28 am

I have a different issue with the correct 'official' answer. Let me restate the original sentence (containing the correct answer):
'Though most people take it for granted now, the nationwide admission of students to colleges and universities based on academic merit is a relatively recent phenomenon, beginning only after World War II. '

Doesn't the portion 'based on academic merit' modify 'colleges and universities'?

Can someone clarify this?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:53 pm

You are correct abhi.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
gmatwork
Course Students

by gmatwork Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:49 am

'based on' is modifying colleges and universities in this case, shouldn't 'based on' be modifying the nationwide admission?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:17 pm

you are absolutely right; abhi had it wrong in this case. "based on" modifies "admission"..
Tim Sanders

gmatwork
Course Students

by gmatwork Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:51 pm

a question about 'based on' - modifier. This is a past participle modifier that modifies a noun. Wouldn't that mean 'based on' should be placed next to the noun that it is supposed to modify rather than placing it next to 'universities' shouldn't the correct answer place this modifier next to 'admissions'
samwong
Course Students

by samwong Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 am

erpriyankabishnoi Wrote:a question about 'based on' - modifier. This is a past participle modifier that modifies a noun. Wouldn't that mean 'based on' should be placed next to the noun that it is supposed to modify rather than placing it next to 'universities' shouldn't the correct answer place this modifier next to 'admissions'

I think in this case "based on" is a participle modifier that is modifying "admission." In the MGMAT SC guide book, there is advanced section that talks about in certain situations, the noun modifier does not need to place directly next to the noun it modified.