Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re: thirteen colonies

by thanghnvn Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:06 am

mschwrtz Wrote:You're precisely right. The rule you cite--also cited on page 41 of our SC guide--is one violated here in the OA.

I won't say that I've never seen that rule breached by an expert user, but I am surprised to see it breached on the GMAT. I'll forward this to our curriculum committee.

Thanks for the sharp eye.

you mean the OA contains error? I agree
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:37 pm

Nope. All of our Strategy Guides are written to complement the rules from the OA, so we sometimes adjust our rules based on what GMAC considers to be acceptable.

As Ron frequently says, there's no point in arguing with the OA. GMAC makes the rules, we just learn and abide by them.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
lzw77_2009
Forum Guests

by lzw77_2009 Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:33 pm

in (A), what kind of modifier is it? (some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens). If it is appositive, why is there a VERB(formed)? It looks like a complete sentence. Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:13 am

lzw77_2009 Wrote:in (A), what kind of modifier is it? (some formed as commercial ventures, others as religious havens). If it is appositive, why is there a VERB(formed)? It looks like a complete sentence. Thanks.

"formed" is not a verb there; it's a modifier. (Some of these things were formed as commercial ventures, etc.)
ilyana777
Prospective Students

by ilyana777 Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:28 pm

I want to summarize some points that can be gathered from this problem as I understood them.

First of all, there can be two non-essential appositive modifiers in a row. It's a surprise, but it is apparently possible on the GMAT.

Second, regarding this "each"-rule from page 46 SC Guide: it is still true, but we can come away with some additional point from this problem.
They each are great tennis players. - the sentence is ok.
They each have his own style. - this is my example, and if there is no mistake in the official problem, it must be ok too. "Each" following the subject has no bearing on the verb form. However, there can be a singular pronoun referring to "each" in the sentence - his.
ilyana777
Prospective Students

by ilyana777 Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:47 pm

I've found this page:
noslangues-ourlanguages.gc.ca/bien-well/fra-eng/grammaire-grammar/absolu-absolute-eng.html

Now I think that those were not appositive modifiers, but absolute phrases. They correlate with example given at the site mentioned above:

The audience filed out, some to return home, others to gather at the pub.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:57 am

ilyana777 Wrote:They each are great tennis players. - the sentence is ok.
They each have his own style. - this is my example, and if there is no mistake in the official problem, it must be ok too. "Each" following the subject has no bearing on the verb form. However, there can be a singular pronoun referring to "each" in the sentence - his.

As a professional writer and editor of the English language, I can tell you without hesitation that "They each have his own style" is wrong.

I'm also troubled by the use of "its" in the original, but, it's the official answer, so that's that.
If GMAC considers this construction acceptable, then the indirectness of the pronoun -- i.e., the fact that it appears in a modifier and not in the main part of the sentence -- must be what's responsible. I.e., The thirteen colonies each had its own charter would be wrong.

The best advice I can give you is "Ignore this issue here". It won't be a factor on your official exam, and may even complicate your consideration of other pronoun issues.
ilyana777
Prospective Students

by ilyana777 Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks!
I'm terribly sorry for the following question, but can't "its" refer to "a charter"?
... had a written charter that set forth its form of government.
Or is it a complete nonsense?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:42 am

ilyana777 Wrote:Thanks!
I'm terribly sorry for the following question, but can't "its" refer to "a charter"?
... had a written charter that set forth its form of government.
Or is it a complete nonsense?

The colonies were the things that had "forms of government", so that interpretation doesn't make sense.
calm.jing
Forum Guests

by calm.jing Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:35 am

Dear experts,

I chose (a), but I am confused why there is no conjunction between the two modifiers ("some..." and "others...")?
Also, does "some... others..." require some kind of parallelism?

Thanks very much!
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Parallelism is definitely an issue here, but the way this sentence is structured does not require a conjunction.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
cshen02
Forum Guests

by cshen02 Fri May 02, 2014 11:49 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
(e) is wrong for a couple of reasons.
* first of all, "with" wrongly suggests that "some" refers not to the colonies themselves but to something that the colonies came with. to suggest that you're referring to the colonies themselves (which you are), you need modifiers of the type used in the correct answer (a).
* "while" MUST be used with a clause or __ing phrase. it can't be used with a construction that doesn't contain any sort of verb form (such as this one, which is just noun + prepositional phrase).

Usually, I see "with" clause modifies the subject of the preceding clause by adding something to it. For instance, I prepared for GMAT with your help.
Can "with" modifies the preceding clause (and the subject) with something belongs to the subject? For instance, she fell asleep with her hair wet. here, hair belongs to the subject. I read it perfectly fine...
"With" modifier is a trick for me...if anyone summarizes its usage, I will appreciate the help.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 04, 2014 11:43 am

cshen02 Wrote:Usually, I see "with" clause modifies the subject of the preceding clause by adding something to it. For instance, I prepared for GMAT with your help.
Can "with" modifies the preceding clause (and the subject) with something belongs to the subject? For instance, she fell asleep with her hair wet. here, hair belongs to the subject. I read it perfectly fine...

Yes. Those are good examples.

Note the relationship, in each case, between the subject and the stuff that follows "with".
* You had my help.
* She had wet hair.

What you can't do is this:
Emily and Nora fell asleep, with Emily still having wet hair.
This doesn't work, because Emily is not a sub-component of Emily.

Hope that helps.
cshen02
Forum Guests

by cshen02 Thu May 08, 2014 12:07 am

RonPurewal Wrote:Yes. Those are good examples.

Note the relationship, in each case, between the subject and the stuff that follows "with".
* You had my help.
* She had wet hair.

What you can't do is this:
Emily and Nora fell asleep, with Emily still having wet hair.
This doesn't work, because Emily is not a sub-component of Emily.

Hope that helps.

It does help as always :)
Now I think one can't say the 13 colonies have some colonies? But the difference between the legit usage of "with" between this faulty usage is still some what vague to me...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 08, 2014 5:12 am

It's vague by nature.

Language needs to be capable of expressing every thought or relationship that anyone might ever want to express. If everything were prescribed too specifically, this just wouldn't be possible.

This is especially true in the case of modifiers, because modifiers describe relationships. Lots of relationships are hard to put a finger on"”so the roles of many modifiers will be hard to put a finger on, too.