Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: There are no legal limits, as there are for cod and haddock,

by RonPurewal Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:55 pm

charmanineW924 Wrote:I have some questions about “unlike” :
1.Is B wrong because it compares the size to cod and haddock or because unlike can only compare two nouns (“there be” is a clause )

the second of these is somewhat accurate, but the problem is more fundamental.

remember—the first step of EVERY sentence correction problem is "Determine the intended message".

here, the message is that certain legal provisions apply to cod and haddock, but not to monkfish. the sentence is NOT saying that monkfish ARE UNLIKE cod and haddock.
in other words, the sentence does not express any contrast between different types of fish.

therefore, the appearance of "unlike cod and haddock" creates a nonsense sentence, regardless of whether it is grammatically legitimate.
Crisc419
Students

by Crisc419 Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:27 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
abysinha Wrote:technically, this comparison is baffling me.

what exactly is baffling you?
the sentence is stating a contrast: condition X is true for cod and haddock, but false for monkfish.

here's another example, similarly constructed:
[i]There is no snow in Los Angeles, as there is in more northern locations.

after eliminating other choices, I chose the right one. but i am not familiar with the usage of "as" in the choice A.

"as" is commonly used to express the similar consitution. i guess it's ok to me, if your sentence is written:

1/there is much snow in XXX, as there is in northern locations.

2/ there is no snow in Los Angeles, as there is not in most of southern locations.

I know i am wrong, so could you point out what i have missed and help me understand why "as" can be used in the conditions that are very different.

thanks very much

Cris
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:09 am

your two examples are for things that are the same in both places. (e.g., both LA and the other southern locations lack snow).
this sentence is for something that differs between the two places mentioned.

if you understand those two examples—and you understand that the point this time is to highlight a difference, rather than a similarity—then the structure of this sentence should be self-explanatory.
xinj576
Students

by xinj576 Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:50 am

Hi Ron, could you please explain what is wrong with E?
Is it because "catching cod and haddock" which is following "Unlike" is not a noun?
But I think it is a gerund so it's a noun and it's grammatically legitimate.
Or is it because E changes the intended meaning? But how? I'm afraid that I'm not sure about it.

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:07 pm

Unlike X, Y is/does/[verb] Z

^^ this is how sentences with "unlike" must be constructed. (sentences with "like" have to be constructed in the same basic way.) the point is that nothing can be stuck in front of "Y".

...so, for this sentence to make sense, it would have to be written as something like
Unlike catching cod and haddock, catching monkfish is/does/[verb] xxxxxxxxx
if "catching monkfish" is not RIGHT THERE—DIRECTLY after that comma—then the sentence is a nonsense construction.
xinj576
Students

by xinj576 Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:41 am

That's a perfect explanation which makes everything clear.
Thanks Ron!!! Your explanations in many threads have been a great help for me. I did not expect such a prompt answer, though:)
Have a nice day! ^^
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:16 am

you're welcome.
SonT457
Students

by SonT457 Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Hi Ron, for option C, is it correct to say "... contribute to depleting..."? I think "contribute to something (eg. the depletion, the destruction, the discovery, etc.) is the correct idiom.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:43 am

Do you mean answer B? I guess there are some circumstances in which you could say 'contributes to -ing', but here 'contributes to depleting them' is certainly suspicious.
THANHD377
Course Students

by THANHD377 Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:53 pm

hi experts,

can I eliminate E because "contributing" doesn't make sense with "there" - the subject of the previous clause?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:28 pm

No, you can't. In answer E, 'contributing to ...' is what we call a comma -ing modifier. This typically modifies the whole clause that comes before it. Take this (correct) example:

Rain fell heavily, causing flooding in some areas.

What caused flooding in some areas? It was not just the rain, but the fact that it fell heavily, i.e. the whole clause.

The important takeaway from answer E is to notice the wrong comparison, as discussed above.
FaysalT485
Students

by FaysalT485 Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi experts,

In answer choice A, what is the appositive modifying ? it looks to me as if it should modify the complete sentence preceding it, but since appositives work similar to ",which", i crossed of answer A.

thanks
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 am

That's because this isn't an appositive. Nouns can be used in more than one way, and it looks like you were being too restrictive in your search. This kind of modifier is called an 'absolute phrase'; take a look at chapter 10 in the SC strategy guide for more on this.