Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
kramacha1979
Students

The United States minted about 857 million

by kramacha1979 Sun May 10, 2009 6:26 pm

GPREP #1

OA :A

The issue with other answers is with the pronoun it.
In B,C,D It refers to United States and in E to dollars which is plural

In E do we need to have a comma between 1981 and United states ?
Between ..<..>, the united states...

Is that another error in E ?

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 17, 2009 4:11 pm

is there another error in E ?

yes, a big fat huge one.

choice (e) contains the plural "susan b. anthony dollars".
therefore, the singular pronoun "it" is stranded; this pronoun doesn't stand for anything in choice (e).

i don't see other errors in (e). if the latter part were "...because they looked and felt too much like quarters", then it'd be correct.

pronoun errors are HUGE, though. that is a big big big problem, and one that you should be able to see very quickly. if not, then you could use some more review of pronoun problems.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC

by RonPurewal Sun May 17, 2009 4:36 pm

because i'm feeling especially nice today, i'll (a) cut and paste this problem from another forum, and (b) change the title.

FOLLOW THE FORUM RULES.
which include:
(a) the title of the post should consist of the first several words of the problem itself.
(b) ALWAYS TYPE OUT VERBAL PROBLEMS. DO NOT POST IMAGE FILES UNLESS THE PROBLEM CONTAINS PICTURES THAT CANNOT BE REPRODUCED BY TYPING.

if you do not follow these rules in the future, your post will not be answered until you edit it to follow the rules.

thanks.

--

The United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars between 1979 and 1981, but the coin proved unpopular because it looked and felt too much like a quarter. A

A. The United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars between 1979 and 1981, but the coin

B. About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars were minted as coins in the United States between 1979 and 1981 but

C. About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars that were minted between 1979 and 1981 in the United States

D. About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars that the United States minted between 1979 and 1981

E. Between 1979 and 1981 the United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars, which
poojaswamy
Students

Re: The United States minted about 857 million

by poojaswamy Mon May 23, 2011 8:37 pm

Ron,

Can you please explain why is D incorrect? dollars is a unit noun (per MGMAT SC guide), so there is a subject-verb agreement, between dollars and it. Please explain why D is incorrect?
messi10
Course Students

by messi10 Fri May 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi,

In this case, the "dollars" definitely needs a plural pronoun. The case where dollars and it may work, is with a sentence such as:

I have 5 dollars and it is half torn.

In the sentence above, we can assume that "it" is referring to a $5 bill. In fact, I am not sure whether GMAT will actually allow it or not.

In this question if you use a pronoun then it must be a plural one so it can refer to 857 million dollars

Regards

Sunil
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:22 am

If I'm reading D correctly and stripping out the modifiers, it really says:

About 857 million dollars, but the coin proved unpopular . . .

It seems I would need a verb after the "dollars".
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
harika.apu
Students

by harika.apu Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:18 am

jnelson0612 Wrote:If I'm reading D correctly and stripping out the modifiers, it really says:

About 857 million dollars, but the coin proved unpopular . . .

It seems I would need a verb after the "dollars".

Hello ,
Can anyone tell me why is B wrong

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:28 am

'it' is singular.
'dollars' and 'coins' are both plural.

thus 'it' has nothing to stand for.
karthick
Students

by karthick Thu May 19, 2016 8:32 am

RonPurewal Wrote:because i'm feeling especially nice today, i'll (a) cut and paste this problem from another forum, and (b) change the title.

FOLLOW THE FORUM RULES.
which include:
(a) the title of the post should consist of the first several words of the problem itself.
(b) ALWAYS TYPE OUT VERBAL PROBLEMS. DO NOT POST IMAGE FILES UNLESS THE PROBLEM CONTAINS PICTURES THAT CANNOT BE REPRODUCED BY TYPING.

if you do not follow these rules in the future, your post will not be answered until you edit it to follow the rules.

thanks.

--

The United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars between 1979 and 1981, but the coin proved unpopular because it looked and felt too much like a quarter. A

A. The United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars between 1979 and 1981, but the coin

B. About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars were minted as coins in the United States between 1979 and 1981 but

C. About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars that were minted between 1979 and 1981 in the United States

D. About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars that the United States minted between 1979 and 1981

E. Between 1979 and 1981 the United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars, which

Hi Ron,

I understood the OA but i am not able to get the meaning. In the sentence i though "minted" is a action that can be done by a person, How United states can mint something? Sorry if there is anything wrong in my understanding.

Regards,
karthick
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed May 25, 2016 3:12 am

don't forget—very generally speaking, if you formulate a "rule" that has completely absurd consequences, then that "rule" isn't a rule.

just think about it.
clearly it's fine to use the name of a country as the subject, for actions taken by that country's government.
e.g.,
The United States declared war on Japan after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

if your "rule" were actually a rule, then this sentence would basically be impossible to write.
JadeK255
Students

by JadeK255 Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi Ron,

I eliminated choice B because I read one post that you mentioned prep+ clause is not legit, am I making the right judgement?

the post is from here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 25-15.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:04 am

JadeK255 Wrote:Hi Ron,

I eliminated choice B because I read one post that you mentioned prep+ clause is not legit, am I making the right judgement?

the post is from here:

i'm afraid i have no idea what you're saying here.
what SPECIFIC PART(S) of which SPECIFIC CHOICE(S) did you think were wrong?
and why?
JadeK255
Students

by JadeK255 Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Ron,

The United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars between 1979 and 1981, but the coin proved unpopular because it looked and felt too much like a quarter.

(A) The United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars between 1979 and 1981, but the coin
(B) About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars were minted as coins in the United States between 1979 and 1981 but
(C) About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars that were minted between 1979 and 1981 in the United States
(D) About 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars that the United States minted between 1979 and 1981
(E) Between 1979 and 1981 the United States minted about 857 million silver-colored "Susan B. Anthony" dollars, which

I eliminated choice B because I read one post that you mentioned prep+ clause is not legit.
Am I making the right judgement to eliminate B on the ground that it is "about + clause"?
Would be great to clarify that I got the right idea from your previous post.

the previous post is from here:

Thank you very much for all the answers which are of great help. :idea:

RonPurewal Wrote:
JadeK255 Wrote:Hi Ron,

the post is from here:

i'm afraid i have no idea what you're saying here.
what SPECIFIC PART(S) of which SPECIFIC CHOICE(S) did you think were wrong?
and why?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:30 am

here, "about" = "approximately". so, this isn't the kind of structure you have in mind.

(even if you weren't previously familiar with this use of "about", you should have been able to figure out that this is NOT "about" = "pertaining to" / "having to do with" / "on the topic of", which is the preposition you're currently asking about.
...once you figured that out, you should have just noticed that this "about" is in all 5 of the choices, and thus not paid any further attention to it.)