Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
cesar.rodriguez.blanco
Course Students

The rise of the Incan empire rested not only

by cesar.rodriguez.blanco Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:10 pm

Can any instructor explain the mistakes in this SC?

The rise of the Incan empire rested not only on the Incas' military might
and the ability of their rulers but also they imposed a highly organized economic
and political system on many different ethnic groups and permitting them
to
retain many of their customs and often their own leaders.

A. they imposed a highly organized economic and political system on many different
ethnic groups and permitting them
B. on their imposition of a highly organized economic and political system on many
different ethnic groups, who were permitted
C. because of their imposition of a highly organized economic and political system on
many different ethnic groups, who they permitted
D. on their imposing of a highly organized economic and political system on many
different ethnic groups and they permitted them
E. imposing a highly organized economic and political system on many different ethnic
groups, permitting them
sunny.jain
Students

Re: The rise of the Incan empire rested not only

by sunny.jain Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:26 pm

IMO : B

IDIOM:

The rise of the Incan empire rested
not only on the Incas' military might and the ability of their rulers
but also.......
to retain many of their customs and often their own leaders.

To maintain parallelism, we need a sentence after 'but also' to be start from 'on' or a preposition.

out of B and D.
D has other two mistakes:

on their imposing of a highly organized economic and political system on many
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:23 am

cesar.rodriguez.blanco Wrote:Can any instructor explain the mistakes in this SC?

and the ability of their rulers but also they imposed a highly organized economic
to

A. they imposed a highly organized economic and political system on many different
B. on their imposition of a highly organized economic and political system on many
C. because of their imposition of a highly organized economic and political system on
D. on their imposing of a highly organized economic and political system on many
E. imposing a highly organized economic and political system on many different ethnic
groups, permitting them

this problem is all about parallelism. (it doesn't involve idiom in any significant way.)

when you see a two-part parallel signal, such as "not only ... but also", just MATCH UP THE FORM of the words following each part of the signal.

in other words, the words following "not only" should be as similar as possible to the words following "but also".

after "not only" you have ON...
so after "but also" you should also have ON...

this INSTANTLY eliminates everything except (b) and (d).

--

(d)
AND creates a parallel structure, but the past-tense construction "they permitted..." isn't parallel to anything.

also, "they permitted them" will ALWAYS be wrong. you can't use a "they" and a "them", consecutively, to refer to different antecedents (they would default to the same antecedent).
rohit21384

by rohit21384 Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:16 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
cesar.rodriguez.blanco Wrote:Can any instructor explain the mistakes in this SC?

to

groups, permitting them

Is" their" refers to Incas ? It cannot refer to Empire ?
Last edited by rohit21384 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikrodj
Course Students

by mikrodj Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:05 am

I'd say that "their" refers to Incas' rather than Incan. I think that in Incan empire,"Incan" is an adjective;thus you cannot refer to it using "their"
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:31 am

rohit21384 Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:

to

groups, permitting them

Is" their" refers to Incas ? It cannot refer to Empire ?

"empire" is singular, so it can't be the antecedent of "their".
facadeof_reality
Students

by facadeof_reality Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi moderators I just want to know one thing.
I thought B is wrong because it uses who after comma.

I mean ,who makes it a non-essential modifier and we need the information.

Thanks in Advance
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:37 am

facadeof_reality Wrote:Hi moderators I just want to know one thing.

actually, no, it's more appropriate to have the nonessential modifier here; the meaning of the sentence implies that the modifier describes all of the ethnic groups in question.

analogy:
manhattan gmat takes pride in its instructors, who have achieved 99th percentile scores on the gmat.
--> this means that all of our instructors have achieved such scores, and so this modifier becomes superfluous.

manhattan gmat takes pride in its instructors, who have achieved 99th percentile scores on the gmat.
--> if this is an essential modifier, it implies that only some of our instructors have achieved such scores, and that the company only takes pride in those instructors.

in this case, the first of the two sentences clearly makes more sense. for exactly the same reasons, the nonessential modifier is better in the sentence above.
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
facadeof_reality Wrote:Hi moderators I just want to know one thing.

actually, no, it's more appropriate to have the nonessential modifier here; the meaning of the sentence implies that the modifier describes all of the ethnic groups in question.

analogy:
--> this means that all of our instructors have achieved such scores, and so this modifier becomes superfluous.

--> if this is an essential modifier, it implies that only some of our instructors have achieved such scores, and that the company only takes pride in those instructors.

in this case, the first of the two sentences clearly makes more sense. for exactly the same reasons, the nonessential modifier is better in the sentence above.

Did you mean to remove the comma in your second sentence?
"pride in its instructors who have..."
divineacclivity
Forum Guests

by divineacclivity Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:39 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

to

groups, permitting them

this problem is all about parallelism. (it doesn't involve idiom in any significant way.)

when you see a two-part parallel signal, such as "not only ... but also", just MATCH UP THE FORM of the words following each part of the signal.

in other words, the words following "not only" should be as similar as possible to the words following "but also".

after "not only" you have ON...
so after "but also" you should also have ON...

this INSTANTLY eliminates everything except (b) and (d).

--

(d)
AND creates a parallel structure, but the past-tense construction "they permitted..." isn't parallel to anything.

also, "they permitted them" will ALWAYS be wrong. you can't use a "they" and a "them", consecutively, to refer to different antecedents (they would default to the same antecedent).

I'm just glad that I thought on exactly the same lines as stated above.
Just one question here:
Which one is preferred in general or in specific situations i.e. pls explain if there's a difference in the meanings of : "on their imposing of .." and "on their imposition of .."

I've gone through your explanations on the difference between gerund such as "constructing .. " and another noun modifier such as "construction of .." and I think now I understand the subtle difference between the two.
The above question is also inspired from that. And, once again, thank you very much.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:27 am

divineacclivity Wrote:Which one is preferred in general or in specific situations i.e. pls explain if there's a difference in the meanings of : "on their imposing of .." and "on their imposition of .."

if you're looking for a noun, then go for the dedicated noun form if it actually exists.
e.g.,
"the destruction..." is better than "the destroying..."
"the imposition..." (your example) is better than "the imposing..."
and so on.
jabgt
Students

by jabgt Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:16 am

It seems to me that "their" in the non underlined parts "their customs" and "their own leaders" changes the referent from original "Incas' " to "ethnic groups' " . ^^ But I‘m fine with this and thus have no question, since I understand I will be good as long as I don't pick the answer choice with pronouns referring different agents.

(I really don't mean to be picky. I just like SC's wording, so I repeatedly read these sentences, learning a lot.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:32 am

sorry, but, i can't tell what you are asking.

i assume you're asking ... something? since I don't think you would post on a public forum just to say "hmm ok, I understand this problem but don't have any questions about it"

please clarify, thanks.