If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

The range of the numbers in set S is x, and the range of the

by MdAbuAsad Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 pm

The range of the numbers in set S is x, and the range of the numbers in set T is y. If all of the numbers in set T are also in set S, is x greater than y?
(1) Set S consists of 7 numbers.
(2) Set T consists of 6 numbers.
The official answer: E
Hi Ron,
Hope you're well. The above question is taught by you seen in Navigator video tutorial. I'm little bit confused in the explanation of statement 1. You told in statement 1:
Set T= 3 7 13
Set S= 3 4 5 7 10 13 100------>Yes
Set S= 3 4 5 7 8 9 13----->No
So, not sufficient.

My confusion is in RED part (100).
Q: Why did we carry more number in S than T?
Here is my analogy about statement 1:
If i say that all the members of ManhattanGMAT forum can sit in the chairs of stadium S, should i assume or infer that there are more chair in this stadium than the number of the members of ManhattanGMAT forum? MAY be YES ( more chair than member) or MAY not be YES (number of chairs=members of ManhattanGMAT forum). In my analogy, the word ''MAY'' should be considered as HYPOTHETICAL, which is IMAGINED or SUGGESTED NOT REAL or TRUE any more!. If something is NOT 100% true, why do we take it as it is 100% sure that there are more values in S than T? Can I've your opinion so that it removes my confusion, Ron?
Thank you Ron,
Best Regards,
---Asad (your online course student) :)
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
RonPurewal
Students

Re: The range of the numbers in set S is x, and the range of the

by RonPurewal Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:45 pm

the problem says "everything in set T is also in set S"... so it's impossible for T to contain more items.
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:21 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:the problem says "everything in set T is also in set S"... so it's impossible for T to contain more items.

It's OK Ron. But, I think you've missed my question in the previous post. :) Can you see my previous post again, thank you. In short, how do we be 100% sure that S carries MORE values than T in statement 1?
Thank you...
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:51 am

they could be exactly the same set, too.

how do we be 100% sure that S carries MORE values than T in statement 1?

^^ no one said that.
the explanation found 2 examples that prove "not sufficient" -- at which point the treatment of that statement is finished. once "not sufficient" has been proved, it would be pointless to look at more examples.