Have any questions or thoughts about the testing center, scratch pad, etc.? Share them here.
itsumania
Forum Guests

The most optimal scratch pad strategy?

by itsumania Sun May 25, 2014 11:52 pm

Greetings from sunny Tokyo!

Not sure if this is the best place to ask + discuss, but let me just give it a try...

I'm taking my first GMAT Wednesday this week: reviews on basics done, took GMAT Prep mock exam + MGMAT mock exams 4+ times and getting 650+ - it's time to take my first one!

During the course of my preparation, I found that maintaining the level of concentration and correct usage of the scratch pad to avoid careless errors are extremely important. (... 'parallel' is broken in this sentence, but fuck it)

I know how to maintain my concentration - water, sweets and a lot of sleep help. But I still need to find the best way to use the scratch pad.

Here's the tactics I'm using on the scratch pad.

[IR + Quant]
Nothing special. No numbering - just do your calculation on the free space as you go along. Exception is "Select I II or III" type question - I write I II III and eliminate which doesn't seem to be true. Again, nothing special.

[What to do in the 8min break]
I think I found that numbering with ABCDE on the scratch pad during the 8min break works perfectly for me to reset my mind + concentration. So the plan is
1) go out of the meeting room quickly (1min)
2) quickly finish toilet + sweets + water (+ some nicotine) (2min)
3) go back to the room (1min)
4) ask the test center guy to get a new pad for me (1min)
5) customize the scratch pad (3min)

* not too sure how long it will take for me go out/back into the room, but assuming it shouldn't take more than 2min.

[Problem I'm facing - use of scratch pad for Verbal]
However, (the CR section in mind) the question is what's the best way to formulate the numbering with just enough space for notes so that:
1) notes I take are right next to the answer choices so that I don't need to move my eyes a lot
2) while using the pad, it must be easy for me to target ABCDE columns (too much spaces in between each number requires me to move my eyes up and down to ensure I'm writing X or tick on the right spot)

I find that all the scratch pad strategies shared on the web are not optimal - there must be a lot more space for improvement! trying to figure out the best way.

[SOLUTION?]
One option I'm testing is to use the pad "horizontally" and leave 2-3 lines between each Q number rows so that it solves my points 1) 2) above.

Anybody got any other innovative solution?
I appreciate your feedback of whatever kind (positive/negative).

Thanks!