Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
mengdiez451
Students

Re: The loan company

by mengdiez451 Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:05 am

hi Ron!
I'm confused with "a group"and "the subprime lending market"
I don't think they are the same kind of items that can be compared or logical parallel
because of this confusing ,I eliminate B first,and then I lost the slipt
I can understand the appositive structure,just a little problem above,pls help me get out of it
thanks in advance!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:12 am

there's no parallelism.
"a group..." is a MODIFIER that gives a DEFINITION of "the subprime lending market".
SD501
Students

by SD501 Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
llzzyy234 Wrote:Is the structure "of + VERBING" is always right?

for any question of the form "is the structure _____ always right?", the answer is almost always going to be no.

Hi Ron,

I am so confused with the correct usage of "prep.+v-ing" ,I remembered that you said v-ing is function as a kind of adjective modifier or participle(function as a noun?), so is the "of not paying back..." works?

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/sc-t6533.html

I have find another post, you said:
* "because of ____ing", where ____ing is a noun, is unidiomatic, so B and E are gone.
NOTE: be careful with this elimination. if ____ing is an adjective, not a participle, then "because of ____ing NOUN" is a perfectly acceptable structure, as in "because of diminishing returns, i don't get as much interest from my bank account anymore".

So, how can I distinguish whether the _ing is an adjective or participle?

Thanks so much
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Actually, here 'paying' is neither an adjective nor a participle! But no worries, it seems that your approach to SC is a bit complicated. I would encourage you to remember that we don't need to be grammar experts and master lots of terminology; it's much more useful to simply think "how do we use this word or phrase in English?". Sure, sometimes you'll be wrong, but that's when you learn something.

So, here, how do we use the phrase 'proven record of'? I can say that I've got a proven record of doing well in exams, or you've got a proven record of reading long novels, etc. Then we can see the rule: proven record of + [activity]-ing.

As well as this approach, remember that we only need to eliminate wrong answers; we don't actually have to write the correct answer ourselves. Can you find all the mistakes in the wrong answer choices here?
ChloeHe
Students

by ChloeHe Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Sorry that I still could't get the point. Why is "proven record that" unidiomatic?
I checked dictionary and found the examples below. The sentence after "that" is used to modify record. Can any instructor elaborate on the usage of "record"? Many thanks!

• There is no record that an autopsy was carried out.
• Three living dolphin groups have a record that extends back to about the late Miocene period some 11 million years ago.
• These exercises can be done to a strong rhythm, so choose a record that you will enjoy working out to.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:28 am

Sure. Looking at my post above, I should have made clear that "proven record of -ing" is not the only idiom that is connected to the word record. There are other idioms connected to other meanings of the word 'record'.

However, looking at your examples, we can see that we're not dealing with a physical vinyl record (your third example), or a specific piece of evidence (your first and second examples).

If I want to say that Alina has a reputation for being late, the idiom is 'record of -ing', i.e. 'Alina has a record of being late.' The sentence 'Alina has a record that is late.' doesn't convey my meaning.

Of course, you can find the words 'record that' together, but this would probably be a 'NOUN that' modifier. For example, using the example above, I could give some more information about Alina's reputation by saying 'Alina has a record of being late, a record that everyone is aware of.' I hope you can see how the modifiers 'of being late' and 'that everyone is aware of' give different kinds of information about Alina's record.

I recommend using a good dictionary to check the meaning of unfamiliar words, such as https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/record
ChloeHe
Students

by ChloeHe Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:27 am

Thank you so much! Especially for the recommendation of dictionary.
Does that mean "of -ing" stands for the content of "record", while "that" is used to modify "record"?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:47 am

You're welcome. Yes, that's a good way of putting it. Technically, they are both modifiers, but convey different meanings. Here's another example 'a box of chocolates' and 'a box that my cousin gave me'. Again, the "of" modifier and the "that" modifier give different meanings.