Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
ShunHuiW878
Prospective Students

Re: The identification of femininity with morality (RC)

by ShunHuiW878 Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:53 am

RonPurewal Wrote:E is wrong because it's NOT TRUE. women absolutely DID manage money. (as noted in the second paragraph, women had to raise money and pay salaries.)

the author notes that there were legal restrictions on these things, and so women had to "find ingenious ways" to actually do them—but they DID find those ingenious ways, and so they DID manage money.

Now I understand!
Thank you Ron!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:55 pm

you're welcome.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:25 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:That's not what "incompatible" means.

"Incompatible" means that two things CAN'T occur together.
If the domesticity thing were incompatible with social activism, then women who subscribed to the idea of domesticity would be unable to participate.

What the author describes as "ironic" is precisely the fact that these two things WERE compatible!
I.e., from a simplistic perspective, one might think that "domesticity" would be incompatible with political involvement (since political involvement occurs mostly outside the home). The situation is ironic because, as the author points out, that simplistic perspective is wrong.

Hi Ron - your post suggests the word "Ironic" actually means female domesticity is compatible with social activism

When i read the word "ironic" -- i thought of female domesticity and female benevolence as two separate circles in a Venn diagram with zero overlap what so ever.

Thus i chose option B because i thought there was no overlap between female domesticity & female domesticity

Answer C seems to suggest female domesticity = female benevolence + chance to enter politics

Is my understanding of why C is the answer accurate
Last edited by JbhB682 on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:26 pm

Here is question with regards to above post in case

Information in the passage suggests that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following statements concerning the cult of female domesticity?

(A) The cult of female domesticity developed independently of the concept of female benevolence.
(B) The cult of female domesticity was incompatible with women's participation in social activism.
(C) The cult of female domesticity incorporated ideological elements that actually helped some women to escape from their traditional domestic roles.
(D) The original motivation behind the promotion of the cult of female domesticity was to exclude women from partisan politics.
(E) The growth of organized philanthropy in the nineteenth-century United States is ultimately attributable to the cult of female domesticity.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:27 am

Thanks for posting. What's your challenge regarding the question above please?