Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
yo4561
Course Students

The GMAT occasionally allows unnecessary helping words?

by yo4561 Tue May 04, 2021 8:02 pm

Hello my MP friends,

I came across this in the All the Verbal book: The GMAT occasionally allows unnecessary helping words. With the following examples:
"(1). Apples are more healthy to eat than caramels.
(2). Apples are more healthy to eat than caramels ARE"

I realize that you are not supposed to use your ear on verbal, but this sounds wrong to me. I want to say healthier instead of more healthy.

I understand that you are not supposed to take an adverb that ends in “-ly” and make it a comparison by changing the ending to “-er” expect for words such as "faster" because you cannot say "more fastly". Instead, MP says that you add “more".

...So when would you use "healthier" then?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: The GMAT occasionally allows unnecessary helping words?

by esledge Sun May 09, 2021 12:47 pm

yo4561 Wrote:Hello my MP friends,

I came across this in the All the Verbal book: The GMAT occasionally allows unnecessary helping words. With the following examples:
"(1). Apples are more healthy to eat than caramels.
(2). Apples are more healthy to eat than caramels ARE"

I realize that you are not supposed to use your ear on verbal, but this sounds wrong to me. I want to say healthier instead of more healthy.

I understand that you are not supposed to take an adverb that ends in “-ly” and make it a comparison by changing the ending to “-er” expect for words such as "faster" because you cannot say "more fastly". Instead, MP says that you add “more".

...So when would you use "healthier" then?
Hi yo, I ran across something like this when I was editing recently. I can't remember the exact word, but something like "rarer" just hit my ear wrong, and I had to look it up: it is, in fact, a real word that means "more rare," so both can be used. I think "healthier" could work in the examples above. That's not to say that we wouldn't have a preference between the two, but I think this is more like an idiom issue than something governed by rules.

In your example, I suspect that "more healthy" might have been used for two reasons: (1) common convention and (2) the "to eat." This example does compare nouns (apples and caramels), but on the basis of how they are "to eat." I think "healthier" would sound better if you were only dealing with nouns directly, but I have no good explanation for why my ear is telling me that. In the example I made up with just nouns and no infinitive, both comparative forms work, I think:

Active dogs are generally healthier than inactive dogs.
Active dogs are generally more healthy than inactive dogs.

Like you, I prefer the "healthier" version. Will the GMAT make you choose between two choices with only this difference? No, never! I have seen a few adjective vs. adverb splits, but that's governed by whether you are describing/comparing nouns or verbs/other. If you do see a healthier vs. more healthy split, there's likely somethings else going on: bad parallelism in one of them, or something else entirely elsewhere in the sentence.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT