Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
CrystalSpringston
Students

The emerging field of architectural climatology centers on

by CrystalSpringston Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:48 am

The emerging field of architectural climatology centers on the potential of as-yet-undeveloped architecture and landscaping to alter, redirect, or dissipate weather systems; for instance, hurricanes prevented from forming by artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms.

A. systems; for instance, hurricanes prevented from forming by artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms
B. systems; for example, artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms that could prevent hurricanes from forming
C. systems, such as hurricanes, which artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms prevent forming
D. systems, such as artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms that can prevent hurricanes from forming
E.systems; for example, hurricanes could be prevented from forming by artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms

The OA is E. I am convinced by the explanation except for D.
In D, the explanation says "The construction such as artificial "reefs" illogically implies that artificial reefs are weather systems". why cannot such as refer to "as-yet-undeveloped architecture and landscaping"?
Or is there a rule that such as should always modify the noun preceding it closely?
Thank you!
Chelsey Cooley
Forum Guests

Re: The emerging field of architectural climatology centers on

by Chelsey Cooley Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:29 pm

'such as...' is indeed a modifier. Although there isn't a rule per se that says 'such as' has to modify the thing right next to it, one rule of noun modifiers is that they have to be as close as possible to the thing they modify. Specifically, other nouns shouldn't come between a modifier and the noun it's modifying, with very few exceptions. Look out for this whenever you see a noun modifier!
CrystalSpringston
Students

by CrystalSpringston Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:10 pm

Chelsey Cooley Wrote:'such as...' is indeed a modifier. Although there isn't a rule per se that says 'such as' has to modify the thing right next to it, one rule of noun modifiers is that they have to be as close as possible to the thing they modify. Specifically, other nouns shouldn't come between a modifier and the noun it's modifying, with very few exceptions. Look out for this whenever you see a noun modifier!

Thank you Chelsey.
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Chelsey Cooley Wrote:'such as...' is indeed a modifier. Although there isn't a rule per se that says 'such as' has to modify the thing right next to it, one rule of noun modifiers is that they have to be as close as possible to the thing they modify. Specifically, other nouns shouldn't come between a modifier and the noun it's modifying, with very few exceptions. Look out for this whenever you see a noun modifier!

Are there any exceptions other than that and which?
According to my understanding, that and which have the flexibility to stand for nouns that are not preceded immediately but are parts of prepositional phrases.

On the other hand who or whose do not have this flexibility, even though they are also noun modifiers.

For instance in the following problem, A,B and C can be crossed off because whose does not have the flexibility as that or which has to stand for a noun that is a little far away(in the prepositional phrase )

Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Tarcoles River encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out from the surface of the murky water.

A)encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out
B)encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
C)had encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
D)encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses peeking out
E)encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses that are peeking out

Is my understanding correct?
Thanks
JacobW468
Course Students

by JacobW468 Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Can some one better explain this answer (OA is E). I understand there needs to be an independent sentence after the semi-colon (knock off A & B) and we need "from" in the "prevent from X-ing" idiom (knock off C). However, to eliminate D, it seems like a lot of extra items/concepts for one question/answer (can vs could and illogical meaning).

Also, for the illogical meaning, it seems pretty clear the reefs are modifying "as-yet-undeveloped architecture and landscaping." Can I get a further explanation here?

Also, when using "such as" I often see a list (i.e. "...such as math, science and biology..."), is there a tendency we could/should look for when comparing "like", "as", and "such as"?
RobinG157
Students

by RobinG157 Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:29 pm

We can easily eliminate A, C and D. Can somebody please explain why E is correct and B not.

Please help.
SudhirP233
Students

by SudhirP233 Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:39 am

The emerging field of architectural climatology centers on the potential of as-yet-undeveloped architecture and landscaping to alter, redirect, or dissipate weather systems; for instance, hurricanes prevented from forming by artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms.

The sentences on either side of the semicolon have to be standalone. However in the first sentence I'm unable to locate the subject and the working verb.The sentence looks like a fragment.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Cheers
cgentry
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by cgentry Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:46 pm

SudhirP233 Wrote:The emerging field of architectural climatology centers on the potential of as-yet-undeveloped architecture and landscaping to alter, redirect, or dissipate weather systems; for instance, hurricanes prevented from forming by artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms.

The sentences on either side of the semicolon have to be standalone. However in the first sentence I'm unable to locate the subject and the working verb.The sentence looks like a fragment.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Cheers

The first standalone sentence is "The ...field...centers...". Note that you begin the sentence with a noun "complex". I don't know if that's an official grammar term, but it's the way I describe a noun with attached essential modifiers: it's not just "the field", it's "the emerging field". When a sentence does this, that noun will almost certainly be either (a) the subject of the sentence, or (b) a lead-in modifier that's separate from the subject by a comma.

You have construction (a) in this sentence.

Just FYI, and example of construction (b) would be the following:

A diligent student, Michael always reviewed every problem thoroughly.
Gui
Course Students

by Gui Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:09 pm

CrystalSpringston Wrote:The emerging field of architectural climatology centers on the potential of as-yet-undeveloped architecture and landscaping to alter, redirect, or dissipate weather systems; for instance, hurricanes prevented from forming by artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms.

A. systems; for instance, hurricanes prevented from forming by artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms
B. systems; for example, artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms that could prevent hurricanes from forming
C. systems, such as hurricanes, which artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms prevent forming
D. systems, such as artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms that can prevent hurricanes from forming
E.systems; for example, hurricanes could be prevented from forming by artificial "reefs" of precisely shaped marine platforms

The OA is E. I am convinced by the explanation except for D.
In D, the explanation says "The construction such as artificial "reefs" illogically implies that artificial reefs are weather systems". why cannot such as refer to "as-yet-undeveloped architecture and landscaping"?
Or is there a rule that such as should always modify the noun preceding it closely?
Thank you!

Does the use of "which" in choice C is right? "Which" in this case is modifying hurricanes or systems? Tks!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:04 am

In answer C, 'which' is modifying hurricanes. The general principle for noun modifiers is to place them as close as possible to the noun that they're modifying so that it's clear what they're modifying. The real problem with C is that the 'which' modifier is not constructed clearly: there's a verb tense issue and the idiom 'prevent forming' is also incorrect.
RAHULS852
Students

by RAHULS852 Mon May 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Sage/ Manhattan expert,

I am not able to understand the problem of "can" in choice D.

Regards,
Rahul Singh
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue May 07, 2019 10:53 am

Rahul, I don't understand your question. What's the 'problem of "can" in answer D' that you're referring to?
RAHULS852
Students

by RAHULS852 Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:08 am

Actually initially i was confused with "can" in D but now I got the point.

According to highlighted portion Architecture is not developed but in D"can" is giving meaning that architecture(reefs) already exists.

Thanks for your post.( After your post I read this problem again and then I got the meaning.) :)

Regards,
Rahul Singh
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:49 am

Good to hear that.