Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
shaw.s.li
Students

The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are

by shaw.s.li Sun May 08, 2011 2:06 pm

The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are two models of cars available, Model A and Model B, each of which is available in four colors: blue, black, red, and green. How many different combinations of three cars can the Carsons select if all the cars are to be different colors?

a) 24
b) 32
c) 48
d) 60
e) 192

I'm having just a little difficulty understanding this problem. I know to use the slot method and that there are a total of 8 different model cars (2*4).

I also understand the slot method is 8 * 6* 4. What I don't understand is why I need to divide by 3!.

The explanation says order doesn't matter, but I didn't think about that in when I was reading the problem. Can someone help me know when I should or shouldn't be dividing by the number of choice I'm making in such a problem?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are

by jnelson0612 Sun May 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi shaw,
Great question!

Let's review what we know: there are two models of cars, A and B, and four colors of blue, black, red, and green. So our possible cars are:

A-blue
A-black
A-red
A-green
B-blue
B-black
B-red
B-green

As you stated, the first step would be to multiply the possibilities using the slot method. I have three slots for the three cars. In the first slot, I have 8 possibilities. Once that car is selected, I then have six possibilities (all the remaining cars that are not the first car's color). Once the second car is selected, I have four possibilities for the third slot (the four remaining cars that are not the color of either of the first two cars).

By using the slot method, I am calculating the number of combinations of a particular order. For example, I could be saying for this problem that I choose A-red, B-black, then B-green, or B-blue, A-black, and B-red. When I choose one first, then another, then another, that will give you the number of combinations of a particular order. By using this method, you assume that the order in which you pick the cars DOES matter.

In fact, order does not matter in this problem. We just need three cars of different colors; we don't care if we pick a particular car first. We can adjust for the order not being relevant in this type of problem by dividing by the factorial of the number of items on top. In this case, we are picking 3 cars, so we divide by 3!.

To read more about this, read Ron's excellent explanation of a similar problem in this thread: a-commitee-of-3-people-is-to-be-chosen-t9945.html
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
shaw.s.li
Students

by shaw.s.li Sat May 14, 2011 2:22 am

Thanks Jamie. That explanation helps. I still have another question that I want you to help me correct my thinking.

I understand that if I don't divide by 3!, I'm picking number of combinations of a particular order, such as the example you game of A-red, B-black, and B-green.

However, I would think that if I picked by this particular order, the actual combinations should be less than if I divided by 3!.

In other words, wouldn't the particular order for A-red, B-black, and B-green be only 1 since there is only one way to have this particular order? That's why when I think about dividing this by 3!, I have a hard time thinking this way because then the number of combinations is even smaller.

I know this thinking isn't right because the question isn't asking how many combinations can I get exactly A-red, B-black, and B-green in this order. I know there are other combinations because you use the word "or" even in your example. Can you help me clarify my thinking?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat May 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi shaw,
Sorry if my earlier explanation was confusing.

When you use the slot method, you are coming up with the total of all possible orders and are assuming that order matters. For example, let's say that we have four people, ABCD, who are going to sit in three chairs. How many possible arrangements (orders) can we have of the three people?
4*3*2=24 There are 24 possible ways to seat the people.

Now, let's say we just need to choose 3 people out of 4 to sit in the seats and we don't care about order. We now use
4!
3! 1!
which is 4. There are 4 possible groups of 3 that can sit in the seats.

Notice that we can get 4 by taking the result of the slot method, 24, and dividing by the number of slots factorial, 3!. 24/3! is 24/6 or 4.

Hope this helps!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
shaw.s.li
Students

by shaw.s.li Mon May 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Thanks, that really helps
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun May 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Great! :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
irvingpjolly
Forum Guests

by irvingpjolly Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:51 pm

But the question specifically asks for "combinations", not "permutations". The latter implies order is relevant, the former implies that it is not relevant. In the link provided to the "similar question", the wording is "different committees", which does not explicate whether or not the order is relevant.

You can argue that there is a common sense element to whether or not the order is relevant, but I would bet that if you surveyed test takers, there would not be complete agreement on order relevance for a given question.

I think questions such as these should include explicit wording about the relevance of the order.

- Larry S.
satyaking
Students

by satyaking Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:41 am

shaw.s.li Wrote:The Carson family will purchase three used cars. There are two models of cars available, Model A and Model B, each of which is available in four colors: blue, black, red, and green. How many different combinations of three cars can the Carsons select if all the cars are to be different colors?

a) 24
b) 32
c) 48
d) 60
e) 192

I'm having just a little difficulty understanding this problem. I know to use the slot method and that there are a total of 8 different model cars (2*4).

I also understand the slot method is 8 * 6* 4. What I don't understand is why I need to divide by 3!.

The explanation says order doesn't matter, but I didn't think about that in when I was reading the problem. Can someone help me know when I should or shouldn't be dividing by the number of choice I'm making in such a problem?

alternative approach:

no. of groups not having any two cars of same colour=total no. of possible groups of 3 cars -no.of groups of 3 cars having any two cars of same colour

no.of groups of 3 cars having any two cars of same colour
=6 . 4= 24
scenario1: black_ black_ (any one colour from rest of 6 cars)
= 6 possible ways(order does not matter in group selection)

similarly,all total 4 scenarios for black ,blue ,green ,and red colour respectively,leading to 6.4 i.e 24 ways of selection.

no. of groups not having any two cars of same colour=total no. of possible groups of 3 cars -no.of groups of 3 cars having any two cars of same colour
=8c3 -24
=56-24
=32
hope it helps
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks satya--it's always interesting to see different approaches.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
bansalm
Students

by bansalm Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Alternatively, select the 3 different colors first - in 4C3 ways
Then for each selected color, there are 2 choices of models.
Hence, total choices will be 4*2*2*2=32

hope this helps
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:11 pm

cool; thanks..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
coach
Forum Guests

by coach Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:34 am

4!*2!=4*3*2*2=48
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:15 pm

it does indeed..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
rooproyee
Forum Guests

by rooproyee Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:40 am

Wow! Its really very nice question. I agree with jnelson0612, what he suggested was exactly right and i hope the explanation which he has given was really useful to you.

[spam deleted]
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Keep your spam off our boards, roo
Tim Sanders