Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
JbhB682
Course Students

Tay Sachs disease, a usually fatal genetic condition .....

by JbhB682 Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm

Source : Critical Reasoning, Manhattan Guide 6, Chapter 1, Page 27

Argument:

Tay Sachs disease, a usually fatal genetic condition caused by the build-up of gangliocides in nerve cells, occurs more frequently among Ashkenazi Jews than among the general population.
The age of onset is typically six months and generally results in the death by the age of four

--------------------------------

Per the book (Manhattan) says that there is no conclusion at all. It marks sentence 1 & sentence 2 as premises both

Could i categorize the argument in the following manner instead :

1) Can the pink specifically be regarded as a conclusion ?

Conclusion : Tay Sachs results in the death by the age of four
Premise for this conclusion : the green ...the green supports the conclusion (age of onset is 6 months only)

2) Is the blue really a premise or just background information ?

Reason : A premise should support the conclusion specifically ...Here there is no conclusion or if there is a conclusion (assume pink)

The blue doesn't really support the pink in any way -- the blue seems irrelevant for the pink and thus, background information
Last edited by JbhB682 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JbhB682
Course Students

Re: Tay Sachs disease, a usually fatal genetic condition .....

by JbhB682 Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Though if i think about it -- if the conclusion is pink -- i dont know if the green supports it really

Just because onset of Tay Sachs begins at 6 months old -- it doesn't really support my suggested conclusion (in pink) that you will die by the age of four
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Tay Sachs disease, a usually fatal genetic condition .....

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:36 am

I don't think your analysis works. The point here is that there isn't any conclusion in this passage. Be aware that we're using the word 'conclusion' in quite a specific way. In Critical Reasoning it means 'the main claim of the argument', i.e. a point of view, or opinion, or prediction that we could disagree with. Of course we can use the word 'conclusion' in other ways - we talk about the conclusion of a story, or conclusion of a situation, but these are a bit different and not relevant to CR.

You might find this thread useful: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p127271