Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
JbhB682
Course Students

Subordinate conjunction vs. - which

by JbhB682 Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Hello Experts - From the SC guide, I see that

Subordinate clauses modify the main clause to which they are attached

These were some examples.

JbhB682 Wrote:Examples of Subordinate clauses

Although he barely studied
, he scored well on the test
Although the economy is strong, the Retail industry is struggling
Her dog, which is brown, is friendly

Does this mean, the noun (in the main clause of the sentence) has to be as close as possible to the subordinate clause ?

In all the examples I have seen in the textbook, the noun from the main clause is TOUCHING / Very close to the subordinate clause

However, per the definition, subordinate clauses modify clauses (indicating to me, subordinate clauses are adverbial modifiers and not noun modifiers. Adverbial modifiers I believe , DO NOT have to be close to the noun )

Just wanted your thoughts on that !

PS - feel free to let me know if these questions are an efficient use of my time when studying or do you believe knowing this WILL NOT help with the exam ?

Thank you for everything !
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Subordinate conjunction vs. - which

by esledge Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:56 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:Hello Experts - From the SC guide, I see that

Subordinate clauses modify the main clause to which they are attached

These were some examples.

JbhB682 Wrote:Examples of Subordinate clauses

Although he barely studied
, he scored well on the test
Although the economy is strong, the Retail industry is struggling
Her dog, which is brown, is friendly

Does this mean, the noun (in the main clause of the sentence) has to be as close as possible to the subordinate clause ?

In all the examples I have seen in the textbook, the noun from the main clause is TOUCHING / Very close to the subordinate clause

However, per the definition, subordinate clauses modify clauses (indicating to me, subordinate clauses are adverbial modifiers and not noun modifiers. Adverbial modifiers I believe , DO NOT have to be close to the noun )

Just wanted your thoughts on that !

Subordinate = Could not stand alone as its own sentence.
Clause = Has a verb in a tense.

By that definition, the examples you quoted from the book are all subordinate clauses. But the last of the three is indeed a noun modifier. What is brown? Her dog. Not the whole "her dog is friendly" clause.

It's too broad to say "Subordinate clauses modify the main clause to which they are attached."
It's more accurate to say "Subordinate clauses modify part of or all of the main clause to which they are attached."

JbhB682 Wrote:PS - feel free to let me know if these questions are an efficient use of my time when studying or do you believe knowing this WILL NOT help with the exam ?

You definitely don't need to know what everything is called. (The GMAT won't ask you "what is a subordinate clause?" It will just expect you to notice when one is wrong somehow.) So your time would be best spent doing problems and seeing how these constructions are actually tested. Really pick apart the OG sentences and challenge yourself to name what's wrong with certain phrasing--in practical terms, even if you aren't sure what to call the error.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT