Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Stock levels for domestic crude oil are far lower

by RonPurewal Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:22 am

trang.kieu.phung Wrote:Are choice D and choice E incorrect because the usage of "resulting in the fact that/of blah blah blah" is considered redundant?

that wording is awkward in its indirectness.
the sentence is supposed to say that this situation has (directly) left oil prices vulnerable to blah blah blah. however, the wording of (d) and (e) weirdly suggests that it has led to the existence of a fact, rather than to actually vulnerable oil prices.

in (d), "of oil supplies being ..." is also an error; for more discussion on that kind of construction, see here:
post26678.html#p26678

By the way, "due to the fact that blah blah" is always wrong on the GMAT, isn't it?

Thanks in advance!

i don't see "due to" anywhere in this problem, so i'm not quite sure where you're getting this question. nevertheless, i wrote a bit about this topic here:
post29817.html#p29817
xyq121573
Forum Guests

by xyq121573 Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:54 am

Hi,ron~
i have another explanation about A:"being disrupted "is a postpositive attributive of "oil supplies",so like C, A indicates that oil prices vulnerable to hints of oil supplies not hints of disruptions . Therefore, A is wrong.
Am i right?
thks in advance~
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:50 am

xyq121573 Wrote:Hi,ron~
i have another explanation about A:"being disrupted "is a postpositive attributive of "oil supplies",so like C, A indicates that oil prices vulnerable to hints of oil supplies not hints of disruptions . Therefore, A is wrong.
Am i right?
thks in advance~

well, i don't know what a "postpositive attribute" is, so i can't say 100%. however, the rest of the things in your explanation are basically correct, so i think you have the idea.

it's the same idea that i explained here:
post26678.html#p26678
xyq121573
Forum Guests

by xyq121573 Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:50 am

thks a lot~
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:06 pm

:)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
samwong
Course Students

by samwong Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:03 am

In answer choice A, "unexpected" is ambiguous because it can modify "consumer demand" or "growth". Is that also a valid reason to eliminate A?

Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:45 pm

samwong Wrote:In answer choice A, "unexpected" is ambiguous because it can modify "consumer demand" or "growth". Is that also a valid reason to eliminate A?

Thank you.

In context, it's pretty clear that we're talking about unexpected growth.
Kun-JuiC625
Students

by Kun-JuiC625 Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:56 am

Hi~ Ron
I want to ask A question about choice C
How to use the word ï¼»as ]
I don't know what is wrong in C :deman as was possibly

And I found that as being is always wrong
How to solve the problem

Thank u
eggpain24
Forum Guests

by eggpain24 Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:25 pm

vietst Wrote:Stock levels for domestic crude oil are far lower than in past years, leaving domestic oil prices vulnerable to any hints of oil supplies being disrupted in the Middle East or to any unexpected consumer demand growth possibly prompted by colder-than-normal temperatures.
A. leaving domestic oil prices vulnerable to any hints of oil supplies being disrupted in the Middle East or to any unexpected consumer demand growth possibly
B. leaving domestic oil prices vulnerable to any hints of oil supply disruptions in the Middle East or any unexpected growth in consumer demand that might be
C. leaving domestic oil prices vulnerable to any hints of oil supplies that are disrupted in the Middle East or to any unexpected growth in consumer demand as was possibly
D. resulting in the fact that domestic oil prices are vulnerable to any hints of oil supplies being disrupted in the Middle East or to any unexpected consumer demand growth possibly
E. resulting in the fact of domestic oil prices that are vulnerable to any hints of oil supply disruptions in the Middle East or to any unexpected growth in consumer demand that might be
OA is B.
What is wrong with A?
Thanks

sorry for bumping the old thread.

I just wonder whether the split “consumer demand growth” in choice A and “ growth in consumer demand” in choice B can be a valid split?

since in A,”prompted“ seems to modified ”demand growth“
and B, “prompted” modified ”consumer demand“

is it more logical to say that “ temperature prompt consumer demands” than to say that“ temperature prompt demand growth”?

Thx~
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:03 pm

That split is primarily a distraction. Pure word order isn't tested on the GMAT.

If you see changes in word order:

• Look at neighboring words. See whether it's important for any of those words to be placed next to any of the words that are "shuffled".

• If not—if the issue seems to deal only with pure word order—then it's a distraction.
JaneC643
Forum Guests

by JaneC643 Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:33 pm

Hi, Ron

Please allow me to ask a question that has nothing to do with underlined part. My question about this problem is non-underlined part "Stock levels for domestic crude oil are far lower than in past years". Is this comparison correct? I can not find the first part in the comparison, if I assume the second part of comparison is "in past years". And I think the correct sentence should be " Stock levels for domestic crude oil are far lower than they were in past years".

Thank you for answering my questions!

Jane
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:28 am

that's why it isn't underlined. good looking out for it, though.

if they're going to test that sort of thing, it will follow roughly the guidelines you've laid down here.
HM537
Students

by HM537 Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:57 pm

Is "resulting" used right here? it's a "comma+ ing" structure. Are "resulting" and "are far lower" happen at the same time? I think the use of "resulting the fact" is wordy and wrong. After read the threads i know it also has meaning problems.

in choice C, i don't understand "as was possibly...". i think there should be a complete sentence after "as" here, so i eliminate it. though i know there are also other faults in this choice.
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:12 am

Dear instructors,

Is the problem with the end of choice C is that as is inappropriately used here?
As is used to connect two complete sentences but here the second part is not a complete sentence.

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:10 pm

'as' is not problematic.

in that part of choice C, the main problem is the use of a past-tense verb ('was') to describe something that might hypothetically happen in the future!