Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
Saurabh Malpani

Square & Rectangle --A very Conceptual Problem

by Saurabh Malpani Thu May 03, 2007 10:43 am

Source: GMAT CLUB challenges Challenge 5, Q18

Q) To Build a RECTANGULAR chicken pan, mike has 40 meters of net. If mike wants to maximize the area of the pan what wil be the most favourable dimensions.

My Question: Though it clearly says "Rectangular" can we assume that he can build a 10x10 "RECTANGLE" because we know square is a form of rectangle.

The reason I am asking this because if I strictlt go with Rectange: dimensions for the max area will be 12x8 , but if I am allowed to go for Square the dimensions will be 10x10

What do yous have to say from your experience ....Can GMAT trick in such ways by guggling Square and Rectangle.
Another self made e.g I have here is

Is the figure ABCD a Rectangle?
a) A has all four sides equal
b) all the angle are equal to 90

Please suggest!

Thanks
Saurabh Malpani
GMAT 5/18

by GMAT 5/18 Thu May 03, 2007 11:15 am

Saurabh,

In response to your first question, I am not sure if the GMAC would try to trick you in such a way - I have been doing a lot of the OG questions (Orange and Green books) and so far, I wouldn't say I have been "tricked" in any way. However, theorethically, a square IS a rectangle, and therefore I guess the theorethical answer to this question would be 100. Again, I would be suprised is you see such a question on the official GMAT test. Also, 12.8 doesn't produce the largest area in a RECTANGLE with a perimeter of 40 metres - 11.9 does.

In response to your second question, I would say B is the correct answer (statement II is sufficient, but statement I is not). I think this is the response because with statement I, the polygon could be a square or a rhombus, and a rhombus is not a type of rectangle.

Hope this helps!
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Thu May 03, 2007 2:05 pm

I also agree that it is extremely unlikely that this particular issue would arise on an official GMAT. As for mathematical definitions, a square is a particular type of rectangle (just as a rectangle is a particular type of parallelogram). Thus, the figure could be a square, even if the problem type identified it as a "rectangle."

As for your second questions, 4 equal sides is not enough to sufficiently prove that a fiqure is a square. As previously indicated, that figure could just as easily be a rhombus (equilateral quadrangle).

Good luck!
-dan