If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
liu1993918
Students

Some questions about admission

by liu1993918 Fri May 15, 2015 9:23 am

I hope I don't ask some inappropriate questions.
I plan to apply for MSF in the spring of 2016. I got 740 on Gmat, 92 on Toefl. My major is economics and GPA is 4.13 out of 5. Now, I am preparing for Toefl and plan to retake it on the June 14th. I know my internship experience is not sufficient. I did an internship in China Citic Bank for one month and in an local accounting firm, which is the 2nd best local firm in China, for half a month.
I am very confused the importance of internships compared to Gmat, Toefl and GPA.
Also, I am confused that among internships in securities companies, corporate finance, bank, or insurance companies, which one would improve my profile most? Or in fact it doesn't matter?
Last, whether my time is still sufficient to apply MSF in the spring of 2016? I plan to do another internship from June 20th to July 20th and write some essays after work. However, I don't know what it will often take to write essay.
Can you answer my questions, please?
Thanks very much.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Some questions about admission

by mbaMissionKate Sat May 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Hello! Thanks for your questions.

So generally, it's a holistic process where schools consider many different factors. So it's really not the case that internships are more important than GMAT or vice versa...both are important and they are used in combination with other factors to evaluate your fit for the program. Your GMAT / GPA seem good but your Toefl does seem low so I'm glad you're retaking.

I think many MSF programs will accept applicants without any work experience, it's typically a program targeted for more entry level roles. I'd say there's probably not a huge difference between the internship options you mention ...I don't really think one is better than another. I'd go with the one that's most closely related to your intended career goals. Or, if one of them was with a more prominent / global firm, then that might give you a slight edge.

You'd have to check with schools directly on deadlines, I'm really not sure if any are still accepting applications for 2016 at this point.

Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php