Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: so that such that so as to

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:45 am

As for choice B:

Probably the easiest way is to note that choice B is significantly more wordy / less efficient than choice C, while adding no value in terms of meaning/context.

Some things to remember:

• Wordiness is not actually an error. However, correct answers are never excessively wordy. (The writers are not jerks; they won't force you to choose "correct but clumsy" over "stylish but incorrect".)

• So, if you COMPARE two choices and notice a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE in wordiness / efficiency of expression——without any extra context——then you can safely eliminate the clunkier one.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:45 am

In the second point above, both conditions are important.

• "SIGNIFICANT":
"In grass and in trees" is NOT significantly more wordy than "in grass and trees".
"Those who engage in athletic endeavors are advised to perform stretching exercises" IS significantly more wordy than "Athletes should stretch".
Yes, there's a bit of common sense involved in making this judgment.

• "Without any extra context":
If there are extra words that add extra dimensions of meaning, then that's NOT "wordiness".
E.g., "there is little available water" is not more "wordy" than "there is little water". They're genuinely different statements. (Water can exist somewhere without being available.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:47 am

Finally, "have competition with" is unidiomatic. (You don't have to know this idiom, if you can instead judge it as clearly inferior to "compete with".)

It's acceptable to write that an entity has competition (= "there are other entities that compete with it"). But you can't append "with ___".
FanPurewal
Forum Guests

by FanPurewal Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:17 am

very clear now, useful and insightful explanations
thank you, ron
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:04 pm

You're welcome.
JaneC643
Forum Guests

by JaneC643 Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi, Ron,
As you mentioned earlier, "in general, you don't use so ADJ as to VERB unless the VERB describes some sort of state/condition. i.e., if the verb is an action verb, this construction generally isn't used.
for instance,
i am so ugly as to be viscerally repulsive to women. --> this works, because the verb "to be" describes a state/condition.
i am so ugly as to repel women on sight. --> you generally wouldn't see this in good writing, as "repel" is an action verb; the sentence would probably be written as i am so ugly that i repel women on sight".
I find a correct sentence in the Og, " The Emperor Augustus, it appears, commissioned an idealized sculptured portrait, the features of which are so unrealistic as to constitute what one scholar calls an “artificial face.”
Here, the correct answer use "so..as to verb...", which looks contrary to your explanation. Could you clarify it further?
Thank you!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:23 am

the verb "constitute" is not an action; it's a description of the state in which something exists. so, that example is perfectly consistent with what you quoted.
VictorH462
Forum Guests

by VictorH462 Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:37 pm

A bunch of thanks to RonPurewal. Not a GMAT pursuer, but benefited a lot from this post years ago. By reviewing it today, feel obliged to get registered and say 'thankyou'. Cheers.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:32 am

VictorH462 Wrote:A bunch of thanks to RonPurewal. Not a GMAT pursuer, but benefited a lot from this post years ago. By reviewing it today, feel obliged to get registered and say 'thankyou'. Cheers.

this is cool. thanks for taking the time!
NiveditaU618
Students

by NiveditaU618 Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 pm

@RonPurewal... u r the best .. this is awesome. I was never more clear about this topic before .. and it sure was a nuisance for me... but not anymore.. thanks a lot for the great explanations :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 am

Glad to hear that!
FuM520
Students

by FuM520 Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Wow! Fantastic Explanation ! Thanks !
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests