If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
Asiddiqui123

so confused...low GPA

by Asiddiqui123 Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:27 pm

Hey guys,

Well, I have a 2.8 GPA in my undergrad from UMass in Finance. I won't lie, the bottom line was that I didn't take my undergrad seriously and I was pretty immature, I was more worried about getting to Friday night than I was to make sure I was ready for my exam on Friday morning. I did work throughout college and funded it without the help of my parents. I graduated in 2004, so I have roughly 3 years of work experiance and I plan on applying in 2009 to give me 4 years as an Analyst in Research and Development. I have some extra ciricular leadership activites so that i hope helps! I am targeting a 650 on my GMAT, and I want to concentrate my MBA in Finance to land a job in corporate strategy with a target to open up a firm when I gain enough credentials and experiance. So, I really dont know what schools I should look into applying, With a 2.8 and 650 GMAT, obviously I am not targeting a top 10 school, but on that note I want to go to the best school I can, and if that means studying longer to get my GMAT tp 700+ and "leadership activites" I am willing to do that. I am thinking the likes of maybe a 15-25 ranked school, is that too far a reach? I think with strong reccomendations and interview I might have a shot? Should I bring my sights a bit lower to the 30-35 ranking range?

I know this is a tough question and all, since its soo broad, but what do you guys normally see people with my background doing, what schools they apply to etc etc...

btw, im in the MGMAT 9 week course, if anyone is considering it...do it, its well worth the investment if your willing to put in the study hours!
MBA Mission

Re: so confused...low GPA

by MBA Mission Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:46 am

Thank you for your inquiry.

As I read your profile below, I was naturally concerned because your fundamentals both seemed to be well below average - a 2.8 GPA and a 650 GMAT. However, you note that you are willing to do what it takes to get a 700 (obviously, some of this is out of your control) and add leadership experience in order to become competitive. If you can earn a 700, take a calculus course and earn an A (if you have not yet taken calc or simply had a bad grade in this subject) and add some significant community service, you should be able to make up for your poor academic showing and challenge for a place in the 15-25 range.

Fortunately, in the b-school application world, your GPA is regarded as a backward looking indicator. By 2009, you will be 9 years older and wiser than you were in your freshman year. Nine years is a long time and the admissions committee will recognize this and put greater weight on your work experience, references, GMAT and leadership activitis. Focus on these aspects and you should be able to recover -- many have....

Sincerely,
Jeremy Shinewald
MBA Mission

http://www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Asiddiqui123 Wrote:Hey guys,

Well, I have a 2.8 GPA in my undergrad from UMass in Finance. I won't lie, the bottom line was that I didn't take my undergrad seriously and I was pretty immature, I was more worried about getting to Friday night than I was to make sure I was ready for my exam on Friday morning. I did work throughout college and funded it without the help of my parents. I graduated in 2004, so I have roughly 3 years of work experiance and I plan on applying in 2009 to give me 4 years as an Analyst in Research and Development. I have some extra ciricular leadership activites so that i hope helps! I am targeting a 650 on my GMAT, and I want to concentrate my MBA in Finance to land a job in corporate strategy with a target to open up a firm when I gain enough credentials and experiance. So, I really dont know what schools I should look into applying, With a 2.8 and 650 GMAT, obviously I am not targeting a top 10 school, but on that note I want to go to the best school I can, and if that means studying longer to get my GMAT tp 700+ and "leadership activites" I am willing to do that. I am thinking the likes of maybe a 15-25 ranked school, is that too far a reach? I think with strong reccomendations and interview I might have a shot? Should I bring my sights a bit lower to the 30-35 ranking range?

I know this is a tough question and all, since its soo broad, but what do you guys normally see people with my background doing, what schools they apply to etc etc...

btw, im in the MGMAT 9 week course, if anyone is considering it...do it, its well worth the investment if your willing to put in the study hours!