Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
Luci

Simply because they are genetically engineered does not make

by Luci Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:12 pm

In this one how do we choose between B (because it is genetically) and D (being genetically). I thought "being" is usually ackward...

Thanks
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:43 pm

"Being" can be grammatically correct, but is usually awkward and very often wrong. In fact, this is the one question I've seen in ten years that uses "being" in the correct answer. (I saw this question a year or two ago for the first time - and it's still the only one I've ever seen that uses "being" correctly.)

Take a look at this thread for an explanation I wrote a while back and let me know if you still have questions.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/accepted-use-of-being-t641.html?highlight=genetically%20engineered
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Luci

by Luci Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:21 am

Thank you so much for your great help guys. This is by far the best website to improve in the GMAT exam. The functioning of this forum, the incredible exams you have as well as the material you develop, in addition to GMATPREP and OG is all that anyone needs to face the exam.

Thanks a lot

Luci
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:20 pm

Stacey's the best - she's like a mother to me. Oh, wait a second...she is my mother!