If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
GMATM985
Course Students

Should I retake the GMAT?

by GMATM985 Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi,

I just finished writing my GMAT exam for the second time. The first time, I scored 710, with an IR score of 7 and an essay score of 6.

This time, I scored 770 (50Q 44V), but a terrible 2 (12th percentile) on my Integrated Reasoning. I wasn't thinking clearly at the beginning of the test and didn't manage my time well at all. My essay score hasn't arrived yet, but I am pretty sure I will score a 5 or a 6.

Do you think the low IR score will affect my chances at getting into a top MBA program? I just finished college, and will be applying to schools in around 2 years. Do you suggest re-writing the GMAT to improve the IR score, or will the schools accept the 7 which I scored the first time I wrote the GMAT?

Thanks a lot for your help!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Should I retake the GMAT?

by mbaMissionKate Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:58 pm

Hi! First of all, congrats on the 770! That's excellent!

So here's the scoop on IR scores...they're not really very relevant (at least not yet) in admissions. Schools just aren't sure how to use the IR score to predict performance in their programs. Generally we advise applicants to get a 4 or higher and not worry too much about that section. But...schools will notice very low scores, especially when they are in contrast to your overall score. So if you have a good explanation for what happened, you can always write a brief Optional Essay pointing to your previous score of 7 and explaining what happened. You don't want to bring too much attention to it, though, so be very brief here.

So I don't think I'd retake just to improve the IR score...unless there are other big concerns in your profile (e.g., low GPA, long employment gaps, etc.)?? If everything else is pretty solid then I think schools will not be too concerned about it. Plus, I'd be worried that you may get a slight dip in your overall score!

To answer your question, if you submit the 770 then schools will not accept the 7, some may not even see it unless they check your full score report. I believe Tuck is the only school that lets you "combine" GMAT scores.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out if we can answer any more questions!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php