Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
AZ679
Forum Guests

She took her laptop and her books with her ...

by AZ679 Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:09 am

Manhattan SC Book, Page 77, #15

She took her laptop and her books with (her )on the airplane because she thought she could use them to get some work done. (Corrected Version)

My Question: Isn't 'them' somewhat ambiguous in this sentence?

One might think it refers either to 'laptop and her books' or to 'her books' only.

Thanks,
tim
Course Students

Re: She took her laptop and her books with her ...

by tim Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:36 am

Not by any means. "She took [things] ... because she thought she could use them." I think it's clear that "them" refers to the things, and it's clear what those things are.

Ask 100 people who understand English what "them" refers to here, and 95 will give you the correct answer because it's THAT OBVIOUS. The other 5 will lie and say it's ambiguous because they just want to stir up confusion even though they really know the answer. Don't be one of those 5%. :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
AZ679
Forum Guests

by AZ679 Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:25 am

tim Wrote:Not by any means. "She took [things] ... because she thought she could use them." I think it's clear that "them" refers to the things, and it's clear what those things are.

Ask 100 people who understand English what "them" refers to here, and 95 will give you the correct answer because it's THAT OBVIOUS. The other 5 will lie and say it's ambiguous because they just want to stir up confusion even though they really know the answer. Don't be one of those 5%. :)

lul, again a funny answer.

Which 100 people?!
The only 100 people who matter are GMAC's guys, not every person you find. And could you please on behalf of me show this question to GMAC's SC guys!

Btw, remember many gmat's questions if shown to ordinary people, most, if not all, of them will find them wired.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:16 am

You're confusing what's important here. You asked if the pronoun was ambiguous and I pointed out that it isn't. End of story. It doesn't matter whom you survey, you will still get the same responses. You seem to be trying to stir up controversy where there is none or make meaningless distinctions that will get you nowhere. As a result, you are making this test WAY harder than it needs to be. Take a step back and evaluate your priorities in studying; if you really want a better score, listen to the advice we instructors are giving you here on the forum. If you just want to cause trouble and be disagreeable, please take it elsewhere.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html