Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
jgoldstein746
Course Students

Setting two equations equal to one another

by jgoldstein746 Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 pm

In what circumstances would I be able to set two equations with variables equal to each other? I believe this is called the transitive property of equality.

What circumstances would I not be able to set two equations equal to each other to find an answer to a problem?

What circumstances would I add or subtract two equations to find my answer? For example, solving for both variables;
-2x+y=1
-x-3y=1

Which method(s) could I use?

Thanks!!!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Setting two equations equal to one another

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:56 pm

The best answer to all of these questions is "Experiment with the different methods, and find out."
There's no substitute for a good intuition, and the only way to build such as intuition is to accumulate a decent store of experience working with these problems.

So, when you do practice problems, just try things and see whether they work.

What circumstances would I not be able to set two equations equal to each other to find an answer to a problem?

I'm getting the sense that you're looking for a "rule" that you can just memorize here, rather than thinking through the situation at hand. Not good.
Instead of looking for a whole cache of rules, whose success will never be completely assured, try to develop a sense of the goal in each situation, and the tools you have available to help you reach that goal.

(examples in below posts)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:59 pm

For instance, with pairs of equations, you have the following tools available:
* You can multiply or divide the equations by constants.
* You can add the equations to each other, or subtract them from each other.
* If you have two different things equal to the same quantity, then you can set them equal (as mentioned above).

In the situation you gave here:
-2x+y=1
-x-3y=1

* If your goal is to find y -- entailing that you want to get rid of x -- you can multiply the second equation by -2 on both sides, and then add the resulting equations.
* If your goal is to find x -- entailing that you want to get rid of y -- then you can multiply the first equation by 3 on both sides, and then add the resulting equations.
* If you want the expression (-3x - 2y) (or the expression 3x + 2y, which is just the opposite of that one), then you can just add the two equations together exactly as ghiven.
* If you want the expression x - 4y, then you can subtract the first equation from the second one.

You asked about finding both variables, but that will NEVER be the goal of a gmat problem. (GMAT problems can only ask for one quantity per problem.)
Finding both variables would be relevant only in classic "school-type" homework, which is not the same skill set you need to develop for a focus-based test like this one.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:00 pm

jgoldstein746 Wrote:In what circumstances would I be able to set two equations with variables equal to each other? I believe this is called the transitive property of equality.

The issue, here, is that you lose some information when you do this. For instance, if x = y and y = z, then you can make x = z -- but then you lose the whole idea that doth of these variables are also equal to y. So, be careful.

So, my best answer is this:

* If you have two expressions that both equal the same thing, you can always set them equal to each other.

* But, you should beware the resultant loss of information.

* As for whether that loss of information is acceptable, you should consider the FOCUS of the problem.
(Remember, a problem will never ask for everything in a particular situation. It will ask only for one quantity, or about one yes/no aspect of the problem.)
If you are losing information that is irrelevant to the focus of the problem, then that's fine.
jgoldstein746
Course Students

by jgoldstein746 Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:35 pm

Thank you for all of the replies. They have been very helpful!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:39 pm

You're welcome.