Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: Sentence Correction Question

by esledge Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:08 pm

Could you please confirm the source (author) of this question? Did you see it in a GMATPrep test or some other practice test? You have posted it in the ManhattanGMAT CAT folder, but I don't find it in our database.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
bvsenthil
Course Students

Re: * Sentence Correction Question

by bvsenthil Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:40 pm

I too thought that B is correct, is it not? awaiting for your reply
Thanks
Senthil
supratims
Students

by supratims Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:50 am

B is wrong because of incorrect usage of oneself.
"that a worker is compelled to put away to take care of oneself in"

here worker is referred to and oneself refers to the worker, which is wrong.
Had it been, "that one is compelled to put away to take care of oneself in" , it would have been correct.
umamakesh.n
Students

by umamakesh.n Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:28 am

The answer is E

the non underlined part of sentence has the word 'pensions' referring to plural form of money. so choices A, B and C can be discarded because each are singular. Between D and E themselves is more appropriate than them, so i chose E.

Btw is it from a official source. I hope mgmat instructors agree with my explanation.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:31 am

by the way, this is the wrong folder for this problem. problems from online forums should be posted in the GENERAL VERBAL folder.

also, "an online forum" is not good enough; many online sources are banned. please post the ACTUAL SOURCE of this problem. if you do not, we will delete this thread.
once you do so, we will move the thread to the general folder, where it belongs.
thank you.

--

(b) is wrong because of "oneself". you can't use this pronoun unless the subject of the sentence is "one".

with a third person noun such as "a worker", you must use a third person pronoun, such as "himself or herself".