Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
galin175
Course Students

Score has not improved- help with new study method

by galin175 Sun May 20, 2018 6:17 am

Hello,

I have been studying the Quant section with the OnDemand Online Course since December 2017. Today in May 2018, my Quant score has not improved at all.
I have been studying every morning for 3 hours and on weekends for 6 hours a day. I have been practicing non-stop with the OG problems.

Any suggestions what I can do in order to improve my score? Apparently what I have been doing so far is not working.

Thanks!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Score has not improved- help with new study method

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue May 22, 2018 7:17 am

Sorry to hear that. Please could you give me more information about how you've been studying? For example, how do you keep track of your work? And what areas have you been focusing on?
galin175
Course Students

by galin175 Sat May 26, 2018 5:12 am

I finished the on demand course 2 months ago. Since then I have been practicing with OG problems and doing CAT tests from time to time.

I don't have a specific area I am focusing on. I am just practicing problem sets from the OG book. If there is a problem I had trouble with I note it in my notebook.

Thanks!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon May 28, 2018 5:05 am

Your short answer suggests that you're just spending a lot of time "studying", without really analyzing what that means. In order to make progress at the GMAT, we need to have a clear idea of (1) what it is we're trying to achieve and (2) how we're going to get there. Under (1) you could include: a knowledge of the basic content of the test (such as terminology), core Math and Verbal skills (such as solving equations), understanding of strategies (such as Smart Numbers, the Negation Test, and the Yellow Pad Technique), familiarity with question types (can you list all the CR question categories?), an ability to manage time by recognizing problems and making appropriate decisions. Under (2), keeping things active and creative is important, so you might list: doing drills from the strategy guides, making timed sets of Official Guide problems, working topic by topic, making cheat sheets, making flash cards, writing mind-maps, finding multiple strategies for solving the same problem (especially on quant), keeping a log of problems you get wrong, going back to redo problems, taking (and reviewing) practice tests, and making up your own problems. In all honesty, does this match your approach?

In my experience, the biggest barrier students face when studying for the GMAT is not a level of intelligence, or even a level of commitment, but the lack of the skill to really learn from their mistakes. That's probably the weak link in your approach. I would suggest that you check out some of Stacey's blogs: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/arti ... roblem.cfm You might also benefit from a couple of hours of individual tuition: having an instructor analyze your tests and show you how to really study a problem could speed things up considerably.