Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
atanup
Course Students

SC Strategy Guide(4th edition)Noun Modifier & TenseSequence

by atanup Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Hello,

I have two doubts for clarification in Sentence Correction as follows:

1) In Chapter 7 page 111, at the bottom of the page there are 4 sentences (2 Right and 2 Wrong). The context is, for Reporting sentences avoid mixing of tenses.The usual practice is either Present +Future OR Past +Conditional.

Well, this same sentence as below is reported both Right and Wrong in the Strategy Guide .

The scientist BELIEVED that the machine WOULD be wonderful.

Could you please clarify what I am missing here.

2) Secondly, in Chapter 6 under Noun modifier section it is advised that where cannot modify 'metaphorical' place such as condition, situation, case etc. , rather use 'in which'.
My query is, in the below sentence, should I use 'in which' or 'where' . Is 'meeting' a metaphorical representation of place :

We had a meeting in which my Personal Assessment report was discussed.

I think 'in which' is the right choice but wanted to clarify.

Thank you.
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: SC Strategy Guide(4th edition)Noun Modifier & TenseSequence

by esledge Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:28 pm

atanup Wrote:1) In Chapter 7 page 111, at the bottom of the page there are 4 sentences (2 Right and 2 Wrong). The context is, for Reporting sentences avoid mixing of tenses.The usual practice is either Present +Future OR Past +Conditional.

Well, this same sentence as below is reported both Right and Wrong in the Strategy Guide .

The scientist BELIEVED that the machine WOULD be wonderful.

Could you please clarify what I am missing here.

I think that is a typo. The wrong example has Past to Future (written underneath the sentence). Future is WILL BE, not WOULD BE.

Therefore,
RIGHT: The scientist BELIEVED that the machine WOULD BE wonderful.
WRONG: The scientist BELIEVED that the machine WILL BE wonderful.

atanup Wrote:2) Secondly, in Chapter 6 under Noun modifier section it is advised that where cannot modify 'metaphorical' place such as condition, situation, case etc. , rather use 'in which'.
My query is, in the below sentence, should I use 'in which' or 'where' . Is 'meeting' a metaphorical representation of place :

We had a meeting in which my Personal Assessment report was discussed.

I think 'in which' is the right choice but wanted to clarify.

Thank you.

You are right, in which is the correct choice, as the noun meeting is an idea or event, not a place.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT