Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
thiru_anand
Students

* SC need help

by thiru_anand Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:18 am

a) The lawyers for the patent holder pressed the federal judge to impose an injunction against the hardware manufacturer, arguing that they should take immediate action in order to prevent further economic damages against their client.

(1) they should take immediate action in order to prevent further economic damages against their client

(2) the judge act immediately in order to prevent the client from suffering further damages of an economic nature

(3) they should act immediately to prevent further economic damages being suffered by the client

(4) the judge act immediately in order to prevent them from suffering economic damages further

(5) immediate action should be taken to prevent their client from suffering further economic damages
tim
Course Students

Re: SC need help

by tim Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:47 pm

you haven't asked a question here..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
thiru_anand
Students

need to confirm my answer

by thiru_anand Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:14 am

need to confirm my answer for this question:
The lawyers for the patent holder pressed the federal judge to impose an injunction against the hardware manufacturer, arguing that they should take immediate action in order to prevent further economic damages against their client.

(1) they should take immediate action in order to prevent further economic damages against their client

(2) the judge act immediately in order to prevent the client from suffering further damages of an economic nature

(3) they should act immediately to prevent further economic damages being suffered by the client

(4) the judge act immediately in order to prevent them from suffering economic damages further

(5) immediate action should be taken to prevent their client from suffering further economic damages
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC need help

by RonPurewal Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:39 am

please read the forum rules: read-before-you-post-general-verbal-folder-guidelines-t2718.html

you can't post problems in this folder without giving the ORIGINAL SOURCE of the problem -- i.e., the company or author that first produced the problem (not, for instance, a forum or other secondhand source on which it has previously been posted).
if you don't know the original source, then i'm sorry, but you can't post the problem here.

we will delete this thread within a week if the original source of the problem is not posted. thanks.
thiru_anand
Students

Re: * SC need help

by thiru_anand Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 pm

source: MGMAT QUESTION
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:54 am

i cannot confirm your answer. the correct answer is E..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
pawar.abhishek
Students

by pawar.abhishek Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:23 am

I was confused between B and E. Chose B. I can say I am wrong about B coz it adds 'client' in the word instead of patent holder.But if you overlook this, I chose B coz it's active.

E uses passive voice though it's not wordy. So in situations like this which option would carry more weight-age.The one which is less wordy or the one which uses passive voice. I say this coz it's widely believed options voice are to be avoided as much as possible.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:00 pm

pawar.abhishek Wrote:I was confused between B and E. Chose B. I can say I am wrong about B coz it adds 'client' in the word instead of patent holder.But if you overlook this, I chose B coz it's active.

E uses passive voice though it's not wordy. So in situations like this which option would carry more weight-age.The one which is less wordy or the one which uses passive voice. I say this coz it's widely believed options voice are to be avoided as much as possible.

Be careful here. Active is only preferred over passive by the GMAT; you should only use active/passive if you've eliminated every other error. In this case, "damages of an economic nature" is far inferior to saying "economic damages". I also don't think it's necessary to say "the judge act immediately"; instead, the lawyers want "immediate action".
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
gmataspirant9
Forum Guests

by gmataspirant9 Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:56 am

Sorry to reopen this thread.But I always have problem in understanding the usage of "the".I could not understand in myself where the usage of "the" is appropriate and where it is not.
I do a lot of questions wrong only on this confusion.

Can you please help me to identify the things related to "the" in GMAT specific terms.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:40 pm

gmataspirant9 Wrote:Sorry to reopen this thread.But I always have problem in understanding the usage of "the".I could not understand in myself where the usage of "the" is appropriate and where it is not.
I do a lot of questions wrong only on this confusion.

Can you please help me to identify the things related to "the" in GMAT specific terms.

Hmm, do you have a specific question about "the" related to this problem? If not, that's a pretty big topic, but I found some grammar links for you that may help you:
http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/grammar/artikel.htm
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/540/01/
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
smohit04
Course Students

by smohit04 Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 am

I have another question on this post.. In the given sentence, can't we say 'arguing that' is in subjunctive mood and we should use the structure verb+THAT+subject+Command subjunctive? In that case B would be the best answer choice.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:27 pm

no. "arguing" is not a 'bossy verb' as described in our material on the subjunctive..
Tim Sanders

shadabkhaniet
Forum Guests

by shadabkhaniet Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi,
In the option E, immediate action should be taken(By whom??)
is it right to use it without subject.
I learned from Ron that I should not challenge correct answer. But I am not able to get it.

--Thanks
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:56 am

technically, "immediate action" is the subject. this one definitely is a passive sentence, but that doesn't make it automatically wrong. find grammar errors first, because active/passive considerations are secondary to outright errors..
Tim Sanders

HarendraS120
Students

by HarendraS120 Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Ron,

However, choice E seems to be most concise, I rejected choice E because I thought that it lost the intended meaning. In the original sentence, "they" refers to who actually should take action. But, it is ambiguous if "they" refers to judge(I thought usage of "they" is incorrect in this case because intended meaning seems to refer "judge" ) or lawyers. So, I finally selected B even after knowing that it is wordy and wrong. Please guide me where I should reject the choices based on the intended meaning in case of active/passive construction. Thanks.