Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
pmal04

SC:is descended or has descended ?

by pmal04 Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:16 am

Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Source:GMATprep OA E.

I chose ans. D which was incorrect.
Ron, could please explain which one is correct-'has descended' or 'is descended'
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC:is descended or has descended ?

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:13 am

pmal04 Wrote:Australian embryologists have found evidence that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved as a kind of snorkel.
A. that suggests that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal, and its trunk originally evolved
B. that has suggested the elephant descended from an aquatic animal, its trunk originally evolving
C. suggesting that the elephant had descended from an aquatic animal with its trunk originally evolving
D. to suggest that the elephant has descended from an aquatic animal and its trunk originally evolved
E. to suggest that the elephant is descended from an aquatic animal and that its trunk originally evolved

Source:GMATprep OA E.

I chose ans. D which was incorrect.
Ron, could please explain which one is correct-'has descended' or 'is descended'

well, you already know the answer to this question: the one that appears in the correct answer is correct.

so, i'll assume that you're asking WHY "is descended" is correct, and not WHICH ONE.

"has descended" means "has moved downward". this can be in either a literal sense (he has descended to sea level from a height of 8000 feet) or a metaphorical sense (i don't want to descend to the level of common street thugs), but it can't refer to ancestry.

if you mean to discuss ancestry, which is clearly the case here, then you must use "is descended".
pmal04

by pmal04 Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:53 am

Thank you, Ron. very nice explanation.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:27 pm

pmal04 Wrote:Thank you, Ron. very nice explanation.

good times
cesar.rodriguez.blanco
Course Students

by cesar.rodriguez.blanco Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 pm

Is D better because of the parallelism: "suggest that.....and that"?
sd
Students

by sd Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:16 pm

I would never have guessed E to be the answer for this one....I chose D too on the GMAT prep..

Ron, are there any such tricky words as 'descended' that can have vastly different meanings, when used with 'has' versus 'is'?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:10 am

sd Wrote:I would never have guessed E to be the answer for this one....I chose D too on the GMAT prep..

Ron, are there any such tricky words as 'descended' that can have vastly different meanings, when used with 'has' versus 'is'?

well, i don't have a list memorized, but you should realize that these two constructions are completely different grammatically (i.e., it's not just a difference of idiom).
i.e.,
"HAVE VERBed" is an active-voice construction.
"IS VERBed" is a passive-voice construction.

think of the difference between the following:
this film director has inspired many young directors to pursue careers in film.
this film director was inspired by his father, also a director.
r_rampuria
Students

by r_rampuria Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 am

Why "to suggest" and not "that suggests"

Ron / Stacie, I need your help.
fenruyun
Forum Guests

by fenruyun Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:04 am

r_rampuria Wrote:Why "to suggest" and not "that suggests"

The same question. I always thought that GMAC used " to do " as attribute in a restricted situation which refers to a future tense or to a intention.

Thank u
ahsan.saeed
Students

by ahsan.saeed Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:29 am

Ron/Stacy, can you please explain this question?

Why "To Suggest" and not "that suggests"?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:48 am

r_rampuria Wrote:Why "to suggest" and not "that suggests"

"evidence to suggest" and "evidence that suggests" are both acceptable in this sort of context. neither is a basis for elimination.

normally you would see "evidence that suggests..."
however, they've used "evidence to suggest..." here, in order to avoid writing evidence THAT suggests THAT xxxxx. not because it's wrong -- just because it's ugly.
enfinity
Forum Guests

by enfinity Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:15 pm

Instead of using "to suggest" or "that suggests" - which are both correct in this sentence - would it be permissible to use "suggesting that ..."?

Instead of saying:
(1) Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggest that the elephant...

Would it be ok to use the following construction:
(2) Australian embryologists have found evidence suggesting that the elephant...

Putting a present participle right after the noun it is supposed to modify is simply the reduced version of a relative clause I believe... I just want to clarify that option (c) starts off correctly.

Thanks!
Steve
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:00 pm

enfinity Wrote:Instead of using "to suggest" or "that suggests" - which are both correct in this sentence - would it be permissible to use "suggesting that ..."?

Instead of saying:
(1) Australian embryologists have found evidence to suggest that the elephant...

Would it be ok to use the following construction:
(2) Australian embryologists have found evidence suggesting that the elephant...

Putting a present participle right after the noun it is supposed to modify is simply the reduced version of a relative clause I believe... I just want to clarify that option (c) starts off correctly.

Thanks!
Steve

yeah, "suggesting" should be fine in this case.
jessie-cn2007
Forum Guests

by jessie-cn2007 Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 am

Hi Ron,
I have a question about E, the clause before "and" is in present tense, while that after is in past tense. I assume that the two clauses should be in the same tense. There is no legitimate reason to use present to describe sth happened and finished in the past.
Thanks a million~
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:33 am

jessie-cn2007 Wrote:Hi Ron,
I have a question about E, the clause before "and" is in present tense, while that after is in past tense. I assume that the two clauses should be in the same tense. There is no legitimate reason to use present to describe sth happened and finished in the past.
Thanks a million~

"is descended from" is indeed a description of a condition in the present. it's the same thing as "is a descendant of".

cf. my friend is a direct descendant of George Washington.
you wouldn't say "was", unless my friend is dead.
same thing with the elephant - if you write "the elephant was..." in this case, you are actually implying that the elephant is extinct.