Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: SC: In July 1965 Mariner IV passed by Mars

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:33 am

I think there is a point to notice here.

The use of which is ambiguous here because in

the first-ever close-up photographs of another planet, which showed

which can modify to either of photographs and planet.

Yeah, but it's obvious that "photographs" is the intended meaning. So, no problem.

If there were a genuine ambiguity here, then you'd have a point.
E.g.,
A close friend of Mr. Smith, who was seen walking in downtown Gainesville, ...
Here, it's genuinely impossible to tell whether the person walking in downtown Gainesville was Mr. Smith or his friend. So here you've got a problem. But, if the meaning is obvious, "ambiguity" is not an issue.
manhhiep2509
Forum Guests

by manhhiep2509 Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:22 am

manhhiep2509 Wrote:Hello.

Are A, B, C, D incorrect because of the use of past tense?

Specifically, what the photographs showed are fact, so past tense is incorrect.

Thank you.

Hi Ron. Please answer my question.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:19 pm

manhhiep2509 Wrote:
manhhiep2509 Wrote:Hello.

Are A, B, C, D incorrect because of the use of past tense?

Specifically, what the photographs showed are fact, so past tense is incorrect.

Thank you.

Hi Ron. Please answer my question.

You should always check the correct answer before deciding whether something is or is not allowed. E says "photos that showed" so it must be ok.

Einstein proved that e = mc^2. That doesn't mean that it's not still true. It just means he proved it in the past. Same thing for the pictures.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
RichaChampion
Students

by RichaChampion Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:22 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
SC312 Wrote:Ron,

Can you explain the difference and the use of the "which" and the appositive modifier "photos" here ?
Also, in the current problem, is the use of any one of two modifiers preferable than the other one. ?

they both seem ok to me.

(the use of "which" here is similar to that in OG12 #26; check it out. that problem proves that GMAC is ok with using "which" to refer to noun+prep phrase.)

Ron Sir,

OG12#26, I think this is the problem that you are referring to. Click Here. but I think the case there was of singular and plural. This i from my notebook + a link to other forum where you was active couple of years back -

COMMA + which + singular verb must refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING SINGULAR NOUN.
COMMA + which + plural verb must refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING PLURAL NOUN

However the theory that would be applicable to the current question will be this one, Other Forum Link
here's the basic summary:
if you have "X + preposition + Y, which..."
then:
* if Y works (in terms of both grammar and common sense) as the antecedent of "which", then "which" should stand for Y.
* if Y doesn't work as the antecedent, but "X + prep + Y" DOES work, then "which" can stand for "X (+ prep + Y)".

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/emi ... t6529.html

While searching for "OG12#26" I also stumbled upon this
My Question is this rule "X + preposition + Y, which..." also applicable for "who"?
Richa,
My GMAT Journey: 470 720 740
Target Score: 760+
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:36 am

you wrote a lot of stuff in that last post, but i don't see any actual questions other than the last line.
if there are any other questions in that post, please clarify.

RichaChampion Wrote:My Question is this rule "X + preposition + Y, which..." also applicable for "who"?

probably... but, the more important question is -- have you seen this tested in a problem from GMAC?
if so, please cite the problem.
if not, then this is a non-issue.
JadeK255
Students

by JadeK255 Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am

Hi instructors,

Is there a grammar or meaning issue in choice A?
Or is it simply out because it is not precise enough?
SHOUMODIPR218
Students

by SHOUMODIPR218 Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:37 am

Hi Ron,

Interpreting the original sentence solely on MEANING basis, I came with following 2 conclusions:

Meaning 1. Martian surface was like that of Moon and the similarities were in form of
a) Craters
b) dry and apparently dead surface.
Meaning 2. Martian surface was
a) like that of moon in terms of similar carters
b) dry and apparently dead surface
However I eliminated the option A based on that of Moon's = surface of moon's surface = illogical and also the moonlike crater which meant craters in shape of moon.

Finally I chose option E which was a crisp and clear meaning.
Now my question is OPTION A followed Meaning 1 and correct Option E follows Meaning 2.

I just want to ask
Where I have faltered in interpreting the sentence when I came up with Meaning 1 ?
HOW to determine the correct meaning, which differs from the original sentence?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:11 am

either of those interpretations could make sense -- but you don't have to choose between them.

more generally, you'll NEVER have to choose one reasonable meaning over another.
if you need to eliminate something because of its meaning, then that meaning will be ridiculous / absurd / nonsense.

However I eliminated the option A based on that of Moon's = surface of moon's surface = illogical and also the moonlike crater which meant craters in shape of moon.

^^ yes.
...and these eliminations are quite straightforward, too. so, the [very slight] difference in meaning is just there to distract you from these MAJOR faults.
SHOUMODIPR218
Students

by SHOUMODIPR218 Mon May 01, 2017 11:41 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:either of those interpretations could make sense -- but you don't have to choose between them.

more generally, you'll NEVER have to choose one reasonable meaning over another.
if you need to eliminate something because of its meaning, then that meaning will be ridiculous / absurd / nonsense.

^^ yes.
...and these eliminations are quite straightforward, too. so, the [very slight] difference in meaning is just there to distract you from these MAJOR faults.

Thanks Ron...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 05, 2017 5:16 am

no problem
TamaraM471
Students

by TamaraM471 Sun May 27, 2018 7:11 am

Hi,

Can someone explain why the sentence construction in option E is correct. Why is there not connector needed after ' of another planet,' and before ' photos that showed a dry'? This looks like a run on sentence to me.

Thanks for your help.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon May 28, 2018 4:51 am

The second part of the sentence (from the comma onward) is a modifier. You can know this by seeing that what comes after the comma couldn't function as a complete sentence on its own. As well as this, the second part of the sentence is giving some extra information about the photographs mentioned in the first part.

Despite the discussion above, and Ron's earlier comments, I would support the view that the 'which' modifier used in A, B, and C is totally fine. Actually, the 'official explanation' referred to earlier makes me suspicious about the origin of this problem, as GMAT Prep problems don't come with official explanations. Squeezing a modifier between the noun and the which is something done in Official Guide problems. On top of this, answers A, B, and C all have other significant problems.

In answers D and E, a different kind of modifier is used, called an appositive. This is simply a noun being used to give extra information about another item in the sentence. For example, 'Jonathan bought a dog, a Labrador.' Here, the bold part simply gives extra information about the dog that Jonathan bought. However, we can enlarge this kind of modifier with a sentence such as this: 'Lucy had a triple heart bypass operation, an operation that involves grafting blood vessels from another part of the body onto the heart arteries.' This one sounds weirder, because I repeated the word 'operation', but it's still fine. Check out chapter 4 of the SC strategy guide for more information about this.
TamaraM471
Students

by TamaraM471 Tue May 29, 2018 4:13 am

Great, thank you very much for this complete explanation!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 am

You're welcome.