Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
returnKama
Forum Guests

SC 4th Ch3 Parallerism - Q9(the blizzard)

by returnKama Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:25 am

SC 4th Ch3 Parallerism - Q9(the blizzard)

The blizzard deposited more than a foot of snow on the train tracks, prompted the transit authority to shut down service temporarily, and causing discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours

A: The blizzard deposited more than a foot of snow on the train tracks, prompting the transit authority to shut down service temporarily and causing discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours

I can understand answer which change "PROMPTED" to "PROMPTING".
But why comma was removed in the answer? It is not clear for me.
Can comma be added in front of "and", if parallel clause is long or independent?
esledge
Forum Guests

Re: SC 4th Ch3 Parallerism - Q9(the blizzard)

by esledge Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:42 pm

returnKama Wrote:I can understand answer which change "PROMPTED" to "PROMPTING".
Can comma be added in front of "and", if parallel clause is long or independent?

The comma was removed because "prompting" (a modifier--the result of main clause "the blizzard deposited...") is only parallel with one other modifier/result. In a list of two things (e.g. "X and Y") you don't put any commas between the items.

The blizzard deposited more than a foot of snow on the train tracks, prompting the transit authority to shut down service temporarily and causing discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours.

With detail removed: The blizzard deposited (some snow), prompting (something) and causing (something else).

The comma was actually there in the original to mislead you: to tempt you read the parallel structure as "X, Y, and Z."

The blizzard deposited (some snow), prompted (something), and causing (something else).

If the END of the sentence were underlined (i.e. if "causing" could be changed to "caused"), then you would put that comma before "and."
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
parveenjain
Students

by parveenjain Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:06 pm

But it is mentioned in MGMAT SC that long clauses should always be seprated by comma if they are using AND as seprator.Shall we not include the explanation of this fact ?
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:47 pm

No we shan't. This clause is not long enough to require a comma..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
cumulonimbus
Forum Guests

by cumulonimbus Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:35 am

tim Wrote:No we shan't. This clause is not long enough to require a comma..

Hi Tim,
Can you please explain what is a long enough clause. Can you give examples of a long clause where comma is required and a short clause where no comma is required.

The example provided in MGMAT guide for X, and Y is - I really like candy apples, AND I eat them often
Is this not small? because the second clause 'I eat eat them often, is not an IC.
prepp
Students

by prepp Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Great explanation!

So if a present participle is used as a modifier, is it always modifying/expressing the result of the main clause?

esledge Wrote:
returnKama Wrote:I can understand answer which change "PROMPTED" to "PROMPTING".

The comma was removed because "prompting" (a modifier--the result of main clause "the blizzard deposited...") is only parallel with one other modifier/result. In a list of two things (e.g. "X and Y") you don't put any commas between the items.

The blizzard deposited more than a foot of snow on the train tracks, prompting the transit authority to shut down service temporarily and causing discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours.

With detail removed: The blizzard deposited (some snow), prompting (something) and causing (something else).

The comma was actually there in the original to mislead you: to tempt you read the parallel structure as "X, Y, and Z."

The blizzard deposited (some snow), prompted (something), and causing (something else).

If the END of the sentence were underlined (i.e. if "causing" could be changed to "caused"), then you would put that comma before "and."
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:31 am

meetgulrukh Wrote:The example provided in MGMAT guide for X, and Y is - I really like candy apples, AND I eat them often
Is this not small? because the second clause 'I eat eat them often, is not an IC.

what is your definition of in independent clause? this is totally an independent clause..

there is no specific rule about exactly how long a clause must be to require a comma. rather than providing examples of sentences that do or do not require a comma, i'll invite you to look at actual GMAT problems to get a sense of this yourself..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 am

prepp Wrote:Great explanation!

So if a present participle is used as a modifier, is it always modifying/expressing the result of the main clause?

this is not true at all. please see the chapter on modifiers in our SC strategy guide for more information about participles and what they modify in various configurations..
Tim Sanders

Aj-Hoods
Forum Guests

by Aj-Hoods Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:00 am

Hi,

How about rewriting the original sentence

"The blizzard deposited more than a foot of snow on the train tracks, prompted the transit authority to shut down service temporarily, and causing discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours."

like this:

"The blizzard deposited more than foot of snow on the train tracks, prompted the transit authority to shut down service temporarily, thus causing discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours."

Or, like this:

"The blizzard deposited more than foot of snow on the train tracks, prompted the transit authority to shut down service temporarily, thus caused discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours."

Please comment.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:15 am

Aj-Hoods Wrote:"The blizzard deposited more than foot of snow on the train tracks, prompted the transit authority to shut down service temporarily, thus causing discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours."

wrong. you can't have the two red verbs like that-- they need to be connected by some sort of connector ("and", "but", etc.)

this version of the sentence is like I live in Los Angeles, drive to San Jose every week to teach classes there. i think you can see why "and" is necessary.

moreover, this version doesn't capture the meaning of the sentence. the idea of "prompting the transit authority to do xxxx" should modify the preceding occurrence.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:16 am

Or, like this:

"The blizzard deposited more than foot of snow on the train tracks, prompted the transit authority to shut down service temporarily, thus caused discontent among commuters who were left stranded for hours."

Please comment.

same two problems as above.
MuraliP204
Students

by MuraliP204 Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:36 am

The blizzard deposited something........................
But the blizzard did not prompt anyone to shut the services
it's cause and action
Stock markets crashed, causing people to lose money.
All actions of that particular incidence ( blizzard deposit something) must be in parellel
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:24 pm

Do you have a question we can help you with?
Tim Sanders

AbhishekD643
Students

by AbhishekD643 Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Hello,
I have a slightly different query relating to this question:
    In Chapter 11 (GM/S-V/Parallelism: Extra; Page 228), the answer says "Prompting. .. temporarily and causing.. hours are participial phrases formed from present participles."

I wish to understand why are they ("prompting.." & "causing...") not simple gerund phrases. Put differently, what is the difference between a gerund phrase and a present participle phrase? Also, can gerund phrases be parallel to adjectives?

[Update] ]Never mind. I got the answer. :D

Thank you
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Okay, but more importantly, does knowing this actually help you on the GMAT, or are you just practicing putting labels on things for no reason? Be sure to focus your attention on things that are actually going to increase your chances of getting GMAT questions right.
Tim Sanders