Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
MadeleineK361
Students

Sarah Meyers McGinty

by MadeleineK361 Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:46 pm

Sarah Meyers McGinty, in her new book Power Talk: Using Language to Build Authority and Influence, argues that while the simple lingual act of declaring power does not help a powerless person gain influence, well-considered linguistic techniques and maneuvers do. McGinty does not dispute the importance of factors such as expertise and ability in determining stature, but argues persuasively that these power determinants amount to little for a person unable to communicate effectively. Surveys have shown that managers consider effective communication skills the most critical characteristic in determining promotability in the workplace.
McGinty divides speech into two categories: "language from the center" and "language from the edge." In McGinty's words, "Language from the center makes a speaker sound like a leader.” McGinty suggests that such language is not only for those already in powerful positions, but also for those of lower ranks who wish to gain more power and credibility. A speaker using language from the center directs rather than responds, makes statements rather than asks questions, uses experience persuasively, and maintains an air of impersonality in the workplace. McGinty’s assertions that the use of such language can alter or create a new balance of power are supported by studies that show that people accept leadership from those they consider experts.
Language from the edge stands in stark contrast to language from the center. Language from the edge is exploratory, inclusive, deferential, and collaborative. A speaker using language from the edge responds rather than directs, asks questions, strives to make others feel heard, and avoids argument. Language from the center strives to claim authority for a speaker, while language from the edge strives to build consensus and trust. McGinty argues that true power comes from a deep understanding of when to use which style and the ability to use both as necessary.
What distinguishes McGinty’s discussion of effective communication is her focus on communication skills as a way of gaining power; by contrast, most workplace communication theory focuses on communication skills as a way of preventing misunderstandings, avoiding conflict, and fostering interpersonal relationships. McGinty, however, holds that language not only helps maintain relationships but also lends authority.

Question: The third paragraph suggests that McGinty would be most likely to agree with which of the following?
A. Language from the center is more effective than language from the edge.
B. Managers who use language from the edge are not authoritative.
C. Powerful people are both authoritative and inclusive.
D. A person using both language from the center and language from the edge will develop true
power.
E. People who use language from the center have difficulty building consensus.

So, I chose D. I now understand why it is wrong, because she really says that knowing when to use what type of language is what leads to true power. But I cannot see how C is correct. There are many loopholes in this answer. It is way too strong.

For one, the passage is about language - it is not about the actual character of the people who strive for power. If the answer was instead "powerful people use both authoritative and inclusive language," then that would be correct. But the passage is essentially about the art of language and learning how to use it - not about peoples' personal character traits. Similarly, if we can get past the language bit, this answer suggests that ALL powerful people are both authoritative and inclusive, but this passage does not suggest that McGinty is saying her method is the ONLY way for people to achieve power. She never says "these are methods used by all powerful people." Thus, this construction is very overreaching because the passage, by not insinuating that this is the only way to achieve power, leaves open the possibility of other ways for people to be powerful. Anyway, I just think this is a really frustrating question and MGMAT should remove it from its database or improve the answer choices, because none are good.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Sarah Meyers McGinty

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:25 am

I hear your frustration on this one, and agree that verbal problems are not as watertight as quant ones, due to the inevitable imprecision of words. This is particularly true for tough verbal problems like this. However, I would defend this problem as a good one for several reasons.

First, I don't agree that answer choice C is necessarily making a statement about character; I think it's reasonable to interpret it as claiming that powerful people behave in 'authoritative and inclusive' ways. I would equate 'sounds like a leader' to authoritative behavior, and 'strives to make others feel heard' to inclusive behavior.

McGinty also claims that 'true power comes from ... the ability to use both as necessary'. I would argue that this is claiming that all truly powerful people can use both types of language, i.e. there may be some apparently powerful people who don't use both types of language, but they aren't truly powerful. Of course, I might well disagree with this statement myself, but we're interested in McGinty's opinion.

Finally, the question stem comes with a qualification: it is asking for the 'most likely' answer meaning that the answer may not be as watertight as on some other inference problems.

I would definitely recommend that you try some of the official practice tests from mba.com. The tougher verbal problems on those tests also display some of the reasonable imprecision that you noticed on this problem.