Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.
NL
Prospective Students

Rules behind absolute values

by NL Sat May 03, 2014 5:35 pm

Hi Ron,

I’d like to know why members of group (1) work and those of group (2) don’t. What are rules behind them? Thank you.

(1) Something like these work:
|a| = 3a-8
|1/3a| = 1/2a -1
|2a| = 3a-8
|10a| = 100a-1/100 etc.

(2) Something like these don’t work:
|1/2a| = 1/3a-1
|1/2a|= -1/3a-1
|3a| =2a-8
|100a|= 10a- 1/100
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Rules behind absolute values

by RonPurewal Sun May 04, 2014 11:27 am

I can't give you "rules"; I don't know a whole lot of those.

One insight, though, comes from thinking about the graphs of these functions in the x-y plane.
The graph of y = |x| is two half-lines at 45º angles to the coordinate axes, through the upper left and upper right quadrants.
If there's a coefficient, then the slopes of the lines are different, but the idea is the same. E.g., the slopes in y = |2x| are a little steeper.

Thinking about something like |x| = 3x - 8:
The line y = 3x - 8 has a y-intercept of -8. Clearly it's not going to intersect y = |x| to the left of the y-axis, since it's negative while |x| is positive.
To the right, it has to "catch up" vertically with the graph of |x| (since it starts at -8 while |x| starts at 0). Because its slope is greater, this will happen, and there will be an intersection point.

Now, thinking about something like |3x| = x - 8:
|3x| has a steeper slope than x - 8, and it starts out with a higher y-intercept. So, x - 8 will never "catch up" to it. (In fact, the closest the two graphs will ever get is when x = 0.)

I'm sure that's not the only approach, but it's an approach.
Possible disadvantage: It does demand a greater-than-usual intuition about graphs of absolute value functions.
Possible advantage: It doesn't require much work.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 04, 2014 11:27 am

By the way, the following must be noted:

* All of the following is well beyond the scope of what GMAC would ever actually test on the exam.

* By thinking about these things, you may compromise your performance on the test.
All of these issues can be settled routinely"”and quickly"”by just doing the work; there's no practical reason to think about any of this stuff.
I find it somewhat interesting"”but I also realize that it is not anything I would ever think about while taking a test! Make sure you realize the same thing. Thinking about things like these may be enjoyable recreation, but it will NOT help you do better on the GMAT.
NL
Prospective Students

by NL Tue May 06, 2014 12:29 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:One insight, though, comes from thinking about the graphs of these functions in the x-y plane.

Hey, you’re a real expert, Ron :))

So, if a grap is steeper, it should be "deeper" in order to cut (intercept) the not-steeper graph at at least one point.
It also explains why|3a|=2a-8 doesn’t work, but |3a|=2a+8 work, or it doesn’t matter with -|3a|=2a+8
Interesting!

Why do you think about graphs? (maybe your experience told you). What if "=" is replaced by ">" (stop! It’s not what gmat will test)

By thinking about these things, you may compromise your performance on the test.

Thank you for the reminding. Sometimes I had a thought of giving up when I couldn't find a short cut.

Thinking about things like these may be enjoyable recreation, but it will NOT help you do better on the GMAT.

Don’t you know practicing Kung-fu helped Bruce Lee win a chachacha championship?

But you maybe right: doing this thing too much will lead me to the wrong direction. (Ironically, I never could focus on doing questions as much as doing these)

But you may not be right: The effect of emotion is still a mystery. It may not help my test directly, but somehow keep me stay with the test.
Hem hem...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 08, 2014 4:04 am

NL Wrote:Why do you think about graphs?

The real reason? I didn't have a pen and paper handy. Large-scale graphing, unlike algebra, I can do mentally. (Probably couldn't find exact intersection points, but that's not necessary here.)

But you maybe right: doing this thing too much will lead me to the wrong direction. (Ironically, I never could focus on doing questions as much as doing these)

This isn't what I meant. I meant that "mental clutter" will not serve you well.

Here, you have a technique that's perfectly straightforward already"”i.e., just solving the equations"”and that doesn't have pitfalls or exceptions. Why mess with success?
NL
Prospective Students

by NL Tue May 13, 2014 3:28 pm

RonPurewal Wrote: "mental clutter" will not serve you well.

This words become my mantra every time I catch my mind wandering around :)
NL
Prospective Students

by NL Tue May 13, 2014 3:34 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:The real reason? I didn't have a pen and paper handy. Large-scale graphing, unlike algebra, I can do mentally.

Go watch Bruce Lee-Ping pong on youtube! Is this how your brain interacted with questions on the test that you got 800? Jealous!

"mental clutter" will not serve you well! Wandering again, :(
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 15, 2014 6:51 am

Hmm.