Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
RijulN343
Course Students

Reflexive pronouns (they vs themselves)

by RijulN343 Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:35 am

My question here focuses on themselves and other reflexive pronouns. Do we need the reflexive pronoun to refer the subject of the main clause or it can be used for other nouns also.
E.g.
The managers posted the inventory list to the Vice President , declining the demand of the employees for a new server to help themselves.

*I came up with the example on my own, so please ignore other ambiguities

My question here is that the themselves can refer to the employees?
Or it refers to the main subject managers always?

I need more clarity on reflexive pronoun. As per my knowledge it can be used in two ways:
1) To refer the subject when the subject is the object of the sentence.
2) To emphasise

If there are some other usage please share.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Reflexive pronouns (they vs themselves)

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 am

As per my knowledge it can be used in two ways:
1) To refer the subject when the subject is the object of the sentence.
2) To emphasise

You're right in framing the "standard" rules for the use of reflexive pronouns in this way. Accordingly, your example is incorrect. However, reflexive pronoun use is notoriously controversial, and, if you're interested I suggest you read this post: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=22979

Interesting though this might be, we've now strayed beyond the realms of the kind of things that GMAT will test you on. They tend to avoid controversial grammar topics, plus the style is more formal than literary. What's important to note is that your example would be somewhat ambiguous with either a reflexive or a regular pronoun. That's much more on-topic. If I were you I would make sure that your study is based on real GMAT problems, and then you'll get familiar with the kind of pronoun issues that you'll be tested on.
RijulN343
Course Students

by RijulN343 Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi Sage,

My question here is in reference to OG 18 Q743, so I guess this may be tested. Please share your thoughts regarding this ambiguity using the example above or giving other examples.

Thanks for the link :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 am

I've taken a look at that problem and I can see what you're getting at. Clearly, GMAT considers that an acceptable use of a pronoun. Take a look here for some more discussion of pronoun ambiguity: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t2001.html

Looking at the OG problem that you mentioned, it's important to note that:
(1) There's no simple split between 'them' and 'themselves'. I.e. this issue is not being tested.
(2) There's no split between 'them' and an alternative without a pronoun meaning that the pronoun's potential ambiguity isn't being tested either.

In conclusion, take hints and learn from official problems, but you'll find that they 'touch' on a wider range of issues than they actually test.