Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
SanchitM103
Course Students

RC passage map taking extra, Q's less time

by SanchitM103 Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Note: I've gone through strategy guides, know the theory behind not being drawn in by details etc.

For shorter passages (or generally speaking, easy reading passages), I don't have any problems sticking within 2-2.5min for reading and map.

For longer passages or those with complicated content, I've been averaging 4+ min for reading and map, but sticking very close to the 7-8 min mark for answering questions. With respect to getting the answers correct, I would say i'm nailing 75% of them (small sample size), understanding the reason etc, and I'm able to predict answers consistently.

Examples of passages that take me a long time: OG 2017 pg 392 (Lepidoptera), OG 2017 pg 418 ( Determinism vs constructivism)

In general, I haven't gone more that 30 seconds over the allotted total time, but I want to know if you've seen this happen to students a lot. Should I be worried about this problem on test day? I doubt i'd get more than 2 long/hard passages, and If I'm doing fine with the answers, should I be practicing my passage mapping skills more so than mapping + answering?

I know this is case by case, but any past insight on student performance in these situations would be helpful :)

[Edit]: I partly feel that this may be the case as I draw the map as I'm reading each paragraph. Maybe I should read the paragraph and then map?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: RC passage map taking extra, Q's less time

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am

That's a tough situation to assess, because there are so many factors. Most importantly, you need to observe how you manage in test situations, in which you have several passages, sustained time-pressure, and perhaps some fatigue. That's why doing practice tests is essential.

However, I can encourage you by saying that it's totally normal to spend more time on some passages and less on others. Most GMAT students have topics they are more familiar with (and can read faster) and other topics that they need more time for. Sticking to rigid time constraints is often not useful, so long as your average time is okay.

Finally, it's great that you've taken time to practise mapping out passages. I'm sure that it's helped your ability to read and look for the kind of information and structure that will help you. Perhaps, as you become more familiar with these reading techniques, you'll be able to scale back the amount that you write (and speed up the process) without compromising your understanding. Try this out as you get closer to test day.