Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
madhukara77
Students

Rather than - subordinating conjunction

by madhukara77 Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:57 am

Experts -
Please let me know, if my understanding is correct.

Rather is an adverb - Ex- I don't want ice cream. I would rather have chocolate. (Here rather is modifying the verb - Have).

"Rather than" is a subordinating conjunction (Not co-ordinating conjunction - Only FANBOYS are co-ordinating conjunctions) - so connects an independent clause to a dependent clause / phrase etc.
Ex-
Rather than paying the taxi fare, he walked home. -
In the above sentence - "He walked home" is independent clause. "Paying the taxi fare" is a phrase.

Thank You !!!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

Re: Rather than - subordinating conjunction

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:46 pm

That all sounds good. I would add that 'rather than' can also be used for a simple comparison. For example 'She wanted to stay at home rather than go out.'
BhavyaM918
Students

by BhavyaM918 Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi Sage, isn't the sentence "Rather than paying the taxi fare, he walked home." wrong?

In the SC strategy guide, it is mentioned subordinators need to be a part of a clause (subject + verb). Here the part before the comma has no clause or verb.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 am

I'm not sure I understand you: which "subordinators" do you mean? And which part of the strategy guide are you referring to?