If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
meister

Quit job before interview?

by meister Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:30 am

Hi, a somewhat unusual question. I am currently working in a business development role for a startup boutique securities firm overseas which has investment banking and brokerage business lines. While I enjoy the entrepreneurial environment, the firm has fallen on some difficult times cash flow wise, and our CEO is looking to raise funds both for working capital as well as an acquisition he is hoping to execute. However, there are two problems: 1.) I feel the CEO is in a somewhat desperate position, and his sales pitches, which I have sat in on but have yet to actively contribute to, are beginning to verge on painting an unrealistic picture of the current state of the firm and its potential- i.e., he is very close to being dishonest/lying 2.) He has broached the idea of selling stock in our private company directly to individual investors and has asked me to begin preparing materials for this; however, in this country sale of non-public stock to individual investors by a securities firm is illegal unless extremely stringent compliance requirements (which we do not have the infrastructure to support) are met. Thus, although I will not be doing the actual sales (I will be able to excuse myself for various reasons), I will bear responsibility indirectly through preparing the analysis. The implications for me range from gaining a slightly bad reputation to not being able to work in the securities industry here. Thus, I am thinking I may have to resign if the CEO moves forward with his fundraising plans.

My questions: 1.) I have turned in all of my applications for round two. Would I have to disclose pre-interview to schools that I have left my job? As they only ask for changes in address, etc, I don’t think this would be necessary. 2.) If I am qualified/lucky enough to get an interview, I would obviously have to disclose to my interviewer that I am no longer with this employer. The circumstances and subsequent questions would take, probably, ¼ to ½ of the 30 minute interview time, and I don’t want to spend a significant portion of the interview talking about this negative experience. Furthermore, if it is an alum interview overseas, I would not have a chance to directly appeal to the admissions committee to explain, but having the adcoms get this information second-hand could be detrimental. The question here is if I am forced to resign, how should I justify this in the context of the interview? 3.) In light of the previous question, it is better to stick it out at this company and refuse to put together presentations which I feel are inappropriate- the net effect of which could either be being able to stay with the company until interviews come around, or getting fired?

My profile:
26 year old male, tri-lingual, dual citizen
Top 4 liberal arts school in the US, GPA:3.6
700GMAT
Experience: 1 year real estate investment overseas, 2 years M&A analyst in NYC IBD, 7 months at current position
Leadership/extracurriculars: president of debate team at college (big commitment, quality over quantity), activity committee in NYC college alumni association

Response...

by Guest Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Hey man,

You are in a crazy situation. Definitely do NOT bring this up in your interview. I have had interviews and no one asks if you are currently with your employer or planning to leave. Keep it positive! Do not bring up negatives in your interview.

Regarding engaging in activities you don't think are ethical/illegal - hopefully you don't need advice on that one. You need to have a frank conversation with your CEO about what you will and will not do, come what may.

Just my take, given the facts as you detailed them.

Good luck!
meister

by meister Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:43 am

Guest, thanks for your reply and advice. A quick question. While I agree with you that questions such as "are you thinking about leaving" or "are you still with the company?" would not come up, I don't want to encounter a question such as "What kind of role do you play in your current firm?" which, by answering honestly means I would have to speak in the past tense, etc. In your experience do questions like this one come up often?

Another question: what is your opinion on writing a quick letter of explanation to the admissions committee explaining my departure?

Response...

by Guest Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:22 am

You should use your best judgment. There is a difference between honesty and openly incriminating yourself.

best of luck.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:35 am

What "guest" said above. Use your judgement - there is a very delicate balance between the truth and self-incrimination.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com