Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
pavnipuri
Students

QUESTION NUMBER 7 AND 9 - MODIFIERS 4TH EDITION S.C

by pavnipuri Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:02 pm

[b]Sentence- The acquaintences who we like the most are those that flatter us best.[/b]My Q - How can i figure out what is the subject and the object here. According to me The acquaintences is the subject here .

[b]Sentence - Of all the earthquakes in european history , the earthquake , which destroyed Lisbon in 1755, is perhaps the most famous. [/b]

My Q - Isn`t the opening modifier " [color=#BF0000]Of all the earthquakes in european history"[/color] telling us about this specific Earthquake. Hence, i think that ,+ which modifier ie: the non essential modifier is justified.

Please correct me . Stacy / Ron / any staff memebers / any student who is sure of their answers.
Thank You in advance
dmitryknowsbest
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: QUESTION NUMBER 7 AND 9 - MODIFIERS 4TH EDITION S.C

by dmitryknowsbest Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi,

That first sentence is a tricky one. You're right that "acquaintances" is the subject of the sentence. However, it is also the object of the verb "like," so we need to use "whom."

A simpler example:

The man whom I robbed is filing charges against me.

In this case, the man is the subject. We could simply say "The man is filing charges against me." However, in the modifying portion ("whom I robbed"), we are describing him in terms not of what he has done, but of what has been done to him. Therefore, "whom" is correct.

The same is true in #7. "The acquaintances" are those who flatter us best, but we are specifying the particular acquaintances we mean in terms of how WE feel about THEM. That's why we use "whom."

In #9, the initial modifier does not help us to determine which earthquake we are talking about. Generally, we can omit a non-essential modifier and still have a clear (if less detailed) sentence. Try leaving out the second modifier:

Of all the earthquakes in European history, the earthquake is perhaps the most famous.

The meaning is no longer clear. Therefore, that additional modifier is needed (i.e. essential).
Dmitry Farber
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
pavnipuri
Students

by pavnipuri Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:53 am

Thankyou very much for your help.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:53 am

:)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
TamaraM471
Students

by TamaraM471 Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:16 am

Dear experts,

Would this version (using a -ing modifier instead of the complex sentence) be correct?

Of all the earthquakes in European history, the earthquake destroying Lisbon in 1755 is perhaps the most famous.

Thank you!
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:12 pm

No, it wouldn't be correct. When we use 'VERB-ing' words, they show an action happening at the same time as the action of the sentence. I should emphasize that VERB-ing words aren't verbs themselves, and they are certainly not all present tense. Take a look at these (correct) examples:

I saw a bird flying in the sky.
I can see a bird flying in the sky.
I will see a bird flying in the sky.

In all these sentences the modifier 'flying in the sky' shows that the flying is taking place at the same time as the main verb (whether past, present or future). If we apply that principle to your example, then since the earthquake is famous right now, it looks like it's destroying Lisbon at the moment, a meaning that is clearly absurd.