Questions about the world of GMAT Math from other sources and general math related questions.

Question Bank Fractions #4

by Guest Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:46 pm

On January 1, 2076, Lake Loser contains x liters of water. By Dec 31 of that same year, 2/7 of the x liters have evaporated. This pattern continues such that by the end of each subsequent year the lake has lost 2/7 of the water that it contained at the beginning of that year. During which year will the water in the lake be reduced to less than 1/4 of the original x liters?

a) 2077
b) 2078
c) 2079
d) 2080
e) 2081

My approach to this problem was to use VIC, but I would have never thought of picking 4 like the answer suggested. Can anyone please let me know how you would approach this kind of problem, particularly how to pick smart numbers?

Thanks.
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:52 pm

Guest, this is a very good question. I too did not originally consider 4 as a selection; instead I chose a multiple of 7 and 4 - the 7 to at least easily calculate the first reduction in 2076, and the 4 to have a whole number for 1/4 of the total number of liters.

My number (28) was definitely a bit unwieldy, but the problem was still solvable in 2 minutes.

Though choosing a "good" number is difficult in this problem, the general rule is to choose numbers that are easily divisible by values in the problem (eg. if the problem asks for 1/3 of the total and then another 1/4, choose 12), easily converted to different units (eg. if the problem gives you seconds but asks for minutes, choose a multiple of 30), or just easy to manipulate (eg. if the problem concerns percents, choose 100).

I hope that helps.
-dan
Katie

by Katie Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:52 pm

What kind of equation would you use for this problem?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:37 pm

Personally, I would never use an equation for this GMAT problem - it would be much too complex to set up and solve without a calculator in 2 minutes. But you can write an equation based on the standard compound interest formula.

Here it is (but don't actually use it!):

Future Value = Present Value * (1+rate)^period
so our PV = x, rate = -2/7 (it's declining, remember), and period = t:
x(1-2/7)^t < (1/4)x
You have to solve for t, which is an exponent. That's why you really don't want to solve this algebraically.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
SHAFTBMF

what was the answer?

by SHAFTBMF Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:39 pm

I did not see an answer provided to this question regarding the math bank fraction question. please post
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:41 pm

Oops, sorry! Answer is D.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep