If you're experiencing a roadblock with one of the Manhattan Prep GMAT math strategy guides, help is here!
guest mk

Question Bank- Equations "Catching Z"

by guest mk Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:04 pm

I understand most of the explanation, bust I having trouble with a particular part. The answer for statement 2 I understand, but not statement 1. Here it is:

Since the question asks for the value of the positive integer z, it is a good idea to isolate z in the given equation. Rearranging (2xy + z = 9) yields (z = 9 - 2xy), so one rephrase of this question is "what is the value of xy?

(1) SUFFICIENT: This statement can be manipulated by factoring the variable z.

z(xy - z) = 0

This equation indicates that either z or the expression (xy - z) must equal zero. Given that z is a positive integer, it follows that

xy - z = 0
xy = z

Note that this partially answers both the original question and the rephrased question; we know that z = 9 - 2xy, and that z = xy. By substituting z for xy in the original equation, we can solve for z:

2xy + z = 9
2z + z = 9
3z = 9
z = 3

My question is if you factoe into z(xy-z) = 0 does not z=0 and xy-z=0 as factors? What happened to the factored z, there is no mention of what happened to it.
guest mk

sorry...here is the question..and full answer

by guest mk Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:06 pm

If 2xy + z = 9, what is the value of the positive integer z?

(1) xyz - z2 = 0

(2) x + y - 3z = -5

Since the question asks for the value of the positive integer z, it is a good idea to isolate z in the given equation. Rearranging (2xy + z = 9) yields (z = 9 - 2xy), so one rephrase of this question is "what is the value of xy?

(1) SUFFICIENT: This statement can be manipulated by factoring the variable z.

z(xy - z) = 0

This equation indicates that either z or the expression (xy - z) must equal zero. Given that z is a positive integer, it follows that

xy - z = 0
xy = z

Note that this partially answers both the original question and the rephrased question; we know that z = 9 - 2xy, and that z = xy. By substituting z for xy in the original equation, we can solve for z:

2xy + z = 9
2z + z = 9
3z = 9
z = 3

(2) INSUFFICIENT: This equation cannot be manipulated or combined with the original equation to solve for any of the variables.

The correct answer is A.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

MGMAT EIV Question Bank "Catching Z"

by StaceyKoprince Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:05 am

The explanation for statement 1 includes these words:

"This equation indicates that either z or the expression (xy - z) must equal zero. Given that z is a positive integer, it follows that

xy - z = 0 "

The explanation first indicates that one of the two must equal zero, but then references the fact that the question itself tells us that z is a positive integer. If z is a positive integer, it cannot equal zero. Therefore, the other bit (xy-z) must equal zero. If the question hadn't told us z was positive, then, yes, we would have had to test both possibiltiies.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep