If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
vivekj902
Students

Query Regarding Age Factor

by vivekj902 Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:42 am

Hi,

I am a 35 years old guy from India with 9 years of Work Experience in IT sector. I am planning to pursue full time MBA from good college in US(may be not the top 10-20 colleges). I know I am little old to pursue MBA but i have the zeal to pursue it :)

I wanted to know if good Business schools consider age as a factor for admissions?

Thanks,
VJ
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Query Regarding Age Factor

by mbamissionjenK Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:20 am

Hi VJ--

Most schools will say that age is not a factor. That said, the average incoming student will have about 5 years of full time work experience, vs your 9-10. So it is less common. Some things to think about include...

-making sure you wouldn't be more comfortable or better suited for any part time or exec programs

-ensuring you are comfortable with potentially being older than most, and with the types of recruitment and jobs typical to the MBA grads

-schools will be looking not just at the quantity of years of experience, but even more so at the QUALITY... so whether you have 2 or 10 years of experience, showing things such as leadership, teamwork, progression and promotion, impact made, etc, will help an applicant's candidacy

-your overall 'story' of WHY you want the MBA, why now, and exactly what your post-MBA career path will look like will be vital

-you may need to address the question of 'why now' or why at this point in your career do you feel this is right

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php