Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
agautamdai
Course Students

Pronoun ambiguity error

by agautamdai Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:05 am

If the intake of carbohydrates is sufficiently low enough, the human body will enter ketosis, where it metabolizes fat directly rather than using glucose.

If the intake of carbohydrates is sufficiently low enough, the human body will enter ketosis, where it metabolizes fat directly rather than using glucose.

If the human body's intake of carbohydrates are sufficiently low, it will enter ketosis, a state in which fat is directly burned rather than metabolizing glucose.

In the case of a sufficiently low carbohydrate intake, the human body enters ketosis, a state in which it directly metabolizes fat rather than glucose.

In cases where carbohydrate intake is low enough, the human body will enter ketosis, in which fat rather than glucose is directly metabolized.

If the sufficient intake of carbohydrates is low enough, the human body will enter ketosis, in which its metabolism burns not glucose but fat.

All I want to understand is that how in C - it clearly refers to the human body it could very well refer to the ketosis -

Staff - Is there a rule which could help not eliminate the choice ...because I eliminated this choice and went with D because I thought that D is ambiguous....
tim
Course Students

Re: Pronoun ambiguity error

by tim Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:55 pm

yeah, the rule is if there is SOMETHING in the sentence that the pronoun can refer to that makes sense, leave it alone. ambiguity is pretty much a nonissue now from what we've been able to find out..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi Tim -

The original version ->

Option C ->

In the case of a sufficiently low carbohydrate intake, the human body enters ketosis, a state in which it directly metabolizes fat rather than glucose.

In C, isn't the modifier marked in Bold changes the meaning to make it ambiguous.

Original version says " Human body metabolizes fat directly instead of using glucose to metabolizes fat - CORRECT?

Now Option C says "Human body directly metabolizes fat and doesn't not metabolizes glucose when in a state of ketosis"

Am i reading this one correctly?

Cheers
aliassad
Students

by aliassad Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:02 pm

I do not think that the change in placement of directly affects the meaning

For example

I walked slowly towards the store

I slowly walked towards the store

Both are fine

Ali Asad
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 pm

aliassad Wrote:I do not think that the change in placement of directly affects the meaning

For example

I walked slowly towards the store

I slowly walked towards the store

Both are fine

Ali Asad

hey thanks.

But I not worried about the placement of "directly" the difference that i wanted to clarify was "using glucose to metabolizes fat and metabolizing glucose itself as given in option A and C respectively.
aliassad
Students

by aliassad Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Oh k .

First of all. If the original choice contains grammatical mistake and it is corrected by changing the meaning of the sentence then you should go for it.

Grammar choice trumps all other considerations.

Here is the original part
" where it metabolizes fat directly rather than using glucose."

x rather than y
x is an adverb and y is a noun phrase I guess so not parallel .

The correct version

" a state in which it directly metabolizes fat rather than glucose"

fat rather than glucose

perfect parallelism

So will go for it.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:45 am

i'm not sure i see what the problem is here. remember to look for grammar mistakes, and if the meaning of a grammatically correct sentence makes any sense at all, keep it around..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
Gui
Course Students

by Gui Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Hi instructors! In (D) and (E), the " , in which" is right? Or the correct way is to use the appositive "a state in which"? Tks! :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 am

Apologies for the delay in replying here. As you wrote, the structure here is an appositive. It's a kind of modifier that I call in my classes a "NOUN, NOUN modifier". For example, in the sentence 'I bought a car, a Rover.' the modifier 'a Rover' gives extra information about the car. Here, 'a state' is modifying 'ketosis' and there is another modifier 'in which...' modifying 'a state'. In short, it's all fine and is just the kind of slightly formal sentence structure that you're likely to see in GMAT problems.