If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ArkabrataC339
Forum Guests

Profile Review , GMAT 740

by ArkabrataC339 Sat May 02, 2015 12:04 am

GMAT score :
1st attempt : 740 ( Q 50, V 40 , IR 4, AWA 5 )
Graduation : 8.43/10
College : Faculty of Engineering , Jadavpur University, Kolkata. ( was ranked 11th in India when I got admitted ).
Stream : Electrical

I'm currently working in the Government Sector ( Damodar Valley Corporation ) as an Electrical Engineer ( joined on October 2013 ).
My profile is not strong as I dont have any extra curricular certificates.

Schools interested in : MIT Sloan, Cornell, Michigan, NUS. I'm particularly interested in MIT Sloan and NUS.

I'm looking for a course in Finance/Business Analytics. Should I retake my GMAT and go for a higher score?

Any other B-School recommendation for my current GMAT score and profile would be helpful.

Thanks in advance !
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Review , GMAT 740

by mbaMissionKate Sun May 03, 2015 10:15 am

Hi there, thanks for posting!

To answer your question about the GMAT, no, I don't think it's necessary for you to retake. A 740 is a very strong score and will demonstrate you can handle the curriculum. You are applying from a super competitive demographic where we sometimes see even higher GMAT scores. But still, I think the way for you to differentiate yourself from that group is through other things, as having a higher GMAT won't guarantee you one of those coveted spots at a school like MIT.

Rather, I think you need to focus on demonstrating the following...
-A clear picture of your career goals and why you need an MBA - you mention you're interested in Finance / Business Analytics but you'll need to dig deeper there and think about the types of roles / industries you'd like to work in. Also, without any Finance background, making that transition can be tough so think about what transferable skills you have now and see if there's any way you can demonstrate the steps you are taking now to make that transition (e.g., taking courses, personal investing, etc.)
-What you've accomplished and how you've been successful in your role at Damodar. Again, since you'll be competing against many other Engineers, think about stories that highlight things beyond your technical skills - like project management, leadership, interpersonal skills, communication, teamwork, etc.
-Not having extracurriculars could be a concern, are there other ways you can demonstrate that you've made a difference in the lives of others or contributed to your community? Are you involved in any professional or alumni networks? Do you have any unique interests or passions? These sorts of things will help to demonstrate you are a well-rounded person who will contribute to the business school's culture.

MIT is going to be tough, to be honest, so definitely have a range of schools that you apply to. Maybe also consider Tepper at Carnegie Mellon? Similar research / data-focused approach to what many people like about MIT.

Good luck and keep us posted if we can help!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php