If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
AnkitaM282
Students

Profile Evaluation

by AnkitaM282 Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:29 pm

Age - 25 (Female)

GMAT score - 650 (q 49 v 29)
Toefl score - 101.

10th percentage - 87% CBSE
12th percentage - 77% CBSE

B.Tech from National Institute of Technology - Srinagar in computer science
CGPA - 8.862

Senior software engineer at Samsung Electronics ( 3.5 years).

Currently i am working in a ENERGY_LABLE_MATCHING project which requires the automation of various 36. Out of these 36 sites , I am incharge of all the european sites which includes 26 sites . Along with that i am also handing the database module alone. Mentoring a fresher in the project as well.

Apart from that i have cleared intermediate and advanced level swc competency test of samsung( only 10% of samsung employees has cleared that). I have also given a B grade patent.

Along side my work as a developer I am a Global Workplace Agent ( GWP) of Service Platform 2 , which includes 200 members . GWP is responsible for organizing the monthly appreciation awards, quarterly parties and other events . Also i am member of cultural committee of samsung. I participate in dances and has won the first prize in group dance competition in annual day.

Apart from this i have contributed to the social cause. In school i was associated with the EACH ONE TEACH ONE initiative . After that i was in touch with the SOS children village . And currently i have volunteered for GOONJ. I organized a collection event in my office during J & K flood and in my society duing nepal earthquake.

Achievements in college :

1. I was consistently among the first 3 topper in the computer sciences.

2. Organized a national level Microsoft Dreamspark Yatra event in Srinagar.( Handled food and beverages and campaigning ).

3. Did my internship from Society for Promotion of IT in Chandigarh (SPIC) that has been set up under the aegis of the Department of Information Technology, Chandigarh Administration

4. Member of Debate club LoquorNITy in college.

5. Won first prize in quiz competition of Institution of Engineers(India), students chapter.

6. Organized tech fest . Incharge of carve your story event.

7. Core member of cultural committee in college. Organized various farewell , freshers events.

8. Participated in dances.

9. Mess secretary of girls hostel.

10. Have a c/c++/java/sql certification

I am looking forward to MBA in IT or General Management

I'm targeting colleges - ISB, USC , CMU , BYU , Texas A & M

Also I'm looking for financial aid.

Because of my low score i am also considering MIS from a reputed college like cmu. Please also let me know will this low score deter my chances of admission?
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbaMissionKate Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:20 am

Hi there -
Thanks for sharing your profile with us. Your work experience seems quite strong, sounds like you've been a top performer and have many accomplishments that will demonstrate your success at work! Your GPA is strong too and schools will know you've got the technical skills required. It seems like your college extracurriculars / leadership were strong, but those aren't weighted as heavily as post-college activities, so leadership there might be one area to improve upon. But the biggest concern is the GMAT, in particular the verbal score. It's good you've got a 100+ score on the TOEFL but I think schools will still have concerns about your ability to communicate in the classroom and in a management setting. Is it possible to retake the GMAT to try to increase your verbal? If not, then you'll need to have very polished essays and perform very well in interviews.

Your 650 is going to put you below median for MBA programs like CMU and USC so those still will be a bit of a stretch. I think the MIS degree could be a good option for you, and your score would be in the middle 50% range for CMU's program. But that of course depends on what your long-term career goals are. If you want to stay within a technical / IT path but move into management, then the MIS is a great option. If you want to broaden your goals outside IT, then the MBA would likely be the more flexible option.

Hope this helps!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
AnkitaM282
Students

by AnkitaM282 Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:21 am

Hi Kate

Thanks for replying .

I wanted to ask do I have a chance at Mays Business School ( Texas A & M) , Rutgers and NUS for MBA.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:27 am

Hi there, yes I think you have a better chance at those schools. Their average GMATs are in the 640-665 range so that is better match with your score. Of course GMAT is just one factor but it's a good initial indicator of how you'll stack up to the other applicants at the school. Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php