If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
DerekW567
Students

Profile Evaluation

by DerekW567 Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Undergrad:
-Case Western Reserve University, B.S., Management, 3.500
-Received the "Excellence In Finance Award" at the Senior Honors Ceremony. Presented to 4 students from the business school.

Work Experience:
1+ year as a Financial Analyst for a world renowned Health Care Organization
3 years of IT Consulting experience with a mid-sized company

Extracurricular:
-Alumni member of my undergraduate fraternities housing corporation (Property Management)
-Member of a church group that organizes and promotes sustainable use of natural resources

GMAT:
1st Attempt: Q42 (50%) V38 (85%) AWA: 6.0 (91%) IR 6 (67%) 650 Overall
2nd Attempt: Q40 (46%) V41 (94%) AWA 6.0 (91%) IR 8 (92%) 660 Overall

Target Schools:
Indiana University - Kelley
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
UVA
Cornell

Definitely frustrated with my quant score, as in practice I've been able to score as high as 49 and usually 45-46. However, as that's still below the target for the top tier schools, I'm wondering if I'd be better served devoting the next month to improving my essays instead of hoping for better results on a 3rd crack at the GMAT. I really wish AWA and IR counted more!

I recognize I may need to write the optional 3rd essay to explain my poor quant score. I feel I can demonstrate through my undergrad scores in my business/math related courses such as statistics, finance and multiple accounting courses that I am plenty capable of handling the math, and that I just didn't test well. Opinions welcome.

My goal for getting an MBA is to transition into strategy consulting, and eventually upper level management. With my degree in management, and work experience in finance and IT, I feel that I have a well rounded background.

Any thoughts or advice on my profile is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbaMissionKate Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:31 am

Hi there -

I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak, the quant is really the only concern I see! Otherwise, it sounds like you're pretty strong all around (good GPA, good mix of experience in Finance / IT, plus active in extracurriculars). If you got good grades in quant courses, then that will help, as will any experience you can point to on the job of doing complex data analysis, financial evaluations, etc. I assume you've had some good leadership exposure too? That will be important to highlight.

So definitely plan to write an optional essay about the quant. As for schools, Darden might be a stretch, but I'd still go for it, and I feel pretty good about your chances at the other schools you mention.

I might focus on the essays and other application materials now too...a third attempt would definitely be fine (schools don't care how many times you take it), but it sounds like you may need a mental break from the GMAT!

Good luck and keep us posted if you have any more questions!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php