If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
rahuls575
Students

Profile evaluation

by rahuls575 Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:20 pm

I need an evaluation on my profile.

Thanks for help....

1) Class Xth: 89.33% (ICSE)

2) Class XIIth : 89.12% (CBSE)

3) B.Tech from NIT Durgapur in Mechanical Engineering with CGPA of 8.25

4) 2nd in Mechanical Engineering Deptt.

6) Well versed in C, C++ and AUTOCAD, CATIA (Although have No certificates to show)

7) 6 years work ex in NTPC:

a) Was selected in 1st batch of NTPC's Nuclear Programme (NTPC's endeavor in nuclear sector for the first time). Was sent to BARC for training in nuclear field and then posted in KKNPP

b) Was involved in major commissioning activities like hydrotest, commissioning of systems, DM plant in KKNPP

c) After successful criticality of KKNPP and thus gaining major experience, NTPC relocated to Thermal sector.

d) Currently working in Maintenance group of CHP equipments.

e) Have added responsibility of Operation and Maintenance of HMV vehicles where sole responsibility of contracts, indents and man power management (some 15 personnel work under me) is with me

8) Participate in festival committee for organization of various festivals in township and plant like Durga puja of township, Vishwakarma puja in CHP.

Awards and merits:

1) Was 3rd in GO Drafting event ( car design) organized by SAE India in College Tech fest.

2) Was awarded ED meritorious award to me and my maintenance team for maintenance work.

9) GMAT score: 700 (Q50 V34) ; AWA : still awaited

Kindly evaluate the profile . Is my GMAT score sufficient or do i need to push for 730 because the score is below average of GMAT scores required in ISB.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

Re: Profile evaluation

by mbaMissionKate Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:03 am

Hi there, thanks for sharing your profile.

So first off there are some unknowns like what your post-MBA career goals are and your reasons for why you need an MBA. It's important that you, primarily through your essays, can present a very logical and compelling story about your future goals, how they are connected to what you've done already, and what specific skills you still need to develop to be successful. I'm also not sure what your target schools are...you mention ISB, is that the only school you're applying to?

Clearly you have a lot of strength in technical skills...with your very high GMAT Quant score and background in Mechanical Engineering. It's also great that you have some team management experience, that should definitely help you. Be thinking about other ways (like the management experience) that you can differentiate from other applicants who also are very strong technically (e.g., skills like teamwork, relationship building, influence, creativity, communication, leadership, etc.).

Re. your question on the GMAT -- a 700 is a great score. But it depends on which schools you're targeting...generally you want to be as close to the school's average as possible. I believe ISB's average is right around 700 so I don't think your score is too low there. But if you're targeting top programs in the US then it could help you to get a slightly higher score. Your verbal score is obviously where you could improve...though there may be other ways you can demonstrate that you have strong communication skills (e.g., your resume, writing really effective essays, your recommendations, interview, etc.).

Hope this helps and keep us posted if you have any further questions!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
rahuls575
Students

by rahuls575 Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:04 am

Thanks a lot for the evaluation.
mbaMissionKate
Prospective Students

by mbaMissionKate Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:59 am

You're welcome! Good luck!
Kate Richardson
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
kate@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php