If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
adityat730
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation

by adityat730 Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:45 am

Hi,
Request you to kindly brief me about my chances in the colleges as per my profile (Male/27/Indian/Non-IT):

GMAT: 700 (Q49 V 36 AWA5)
Undergrad: BTech Civil Engineering from top 5 NIT’s in India- NIT Kurukshetra (CGPA- 8.28/10)
Xth: 88%
XIIth: 82.8%
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Work Ex: 4+ Years In Project Management- Contracts, Tendering and Estimation of Civil Works involved in Thermal Power Plants
Sector: Power and Energy

Job Description:
- Erection Cost Estimation for Civil & Building Packages for Boiler, Turbine and Generator Island package in Thermal Power projects pan India.
- Pre bid coordination with Sub Contractors & offer negotiation based on the estimate prepared.
- Involved in the bidding process for projects having worth more than 5000 crores.
- Leading a 2 Engineers team and approx. 30 sub-ordinates at various Project Sites throughout India
- Efficient Preparation of project planning, review of monthly invoicing plan etc
- Sound understanding of Pre Engineered Buildings design- A fast growing industry in the Indian Sector
- Preparation of Contract Agreements, Placing Purchase Order in ERP, Erection protocols and methodologies.

Major Clients : NTPC, GMR, Tata Power

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personal Ventures/Achievements:
- Started my own business of Fuel Gel in 2011. Manufacturing, marketing and distribution of Fuel Gel across Haryana. Annual turnover above 15 lakhs.
Initiated the process to setup factory level business in North India. Have Set up a factory in my hometown after meeting success in the business.
- Involved in the Upliftment of the underprivileged students at one of the schools for the poor since 2012.
- Active member of CSR operational committee of organisation since 2012. Initiated Following programmes under CSR in 2014:
1. Beggars Upliftment Programme
2. Swach Bharat Abhyaan- Gurgaon Chapter (Doosan,India)
- Received best volunteer award for the year 2014 from MD of the organisation.
- Marathon Champion in School.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other involvements:
- Represented Civil Engineering Department batch 2k6 in the Placement advisory committee of NIT Kurukshetra 2009-2010.
- Lots of Membership Certificates and Awards in Sports and co- curricular activities
- President of techno cultural society of Civil Dept in College.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Schools I want to target :
1. NUS
2. HEC Paris
3. INSEAD France
4. UNC- Kennan Flagler
5. Duke
6. IE Spain
7. ISB Hyderabad
8. Pennstate Smeal

My main ambition is to start my own construction company after having 8-10 years of work experience post my MBA.
As I mentioned in my profile that I am already running a business of Fuel Gel since 2011, I would like to take it further while focusing more on the Construction Industry . The Fuel Gel Business is unique in itself and I started along side my job as an alternate source of Income.

I have a strong database of Contacts with Leading construction companies of India Like Gammon India, L&T and Simplex Infra to name a few. I have negotiated with these firms at the highest level and have experience in award of contracts.

I feel this is right juncture of my life at which I should go for an MBA and work on a managerial level position to understand the other aspects of business like Financial Acumen, Strategy Decisions etc.

Please let me know my chances for the above mentioned schools. Also, I would like to about INSEAD in particular as they have an extra-ordinary programme for the entrepreneurship. With my long term plan clearly in my mind, do you think I stand a Chance at it (Insead)?.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Aditya
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbamissionjenK Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:52 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Overall your work experience is respectable, with lots of examples of people and project management, and leading/managing a few employees is a plus. Your start-up experience sounds interesting, so see if you can explain that and show admissions committees the perspective and experience you'd bring to the class because of your past experiences including your venture. You also have some extracurricular involvements and recognition.

You have quite a long and varied schools list.... are you aiming to apply now or in the fall/next season? Do you have particular reasons for your school choices? I think with strong essays and recommendations etc you could have a chance at many on the list. INSEAD would be a bit of a reach just because it is so competitive, but doesn't mean rule it out. Perhaps Duke as well.

Good luck with the process and let us know how we can help.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php
adityat730
Forum Guests

by adityat730 Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:38 pm

mbamissionjenK Wrote:Hi there,

Thanks for posting. Overall your work experience is respectable, with lots of examples of people and project management, and leading/managing a few employees is a plus. Your start-up experience sounds interesting, so see if you can explain that and show admissions committees the perspective and experience you'd bring to the class because of your past experiences including your venture. You also have some extracurricular involvements and recognition.

You have quite a long and varied schools list.... are you aiming to apply now or in the fall/next season? Do you have particular reasons for your school choices? I think with strong essays and recommendations etc you could have a chance at many on the list. INSEAD would be a bit of a reach just because it is so competitive, but doesn't mean rule it out. Perhaps Duke as well.

Good luck with the process and let us know how we can help.

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed I am planning to apply in the next cycle for the US Schools. Although I have selected the schools as per my knowledge of curriculum and ROI, I would love to hear a few from you as well if possible.

As far as Duke and INSEAD are concerned, I know both of them need an extra bit to get into but looking at my experiences and score, I think I should go for it. Request you to kindly enlighten me in ways I can make my profile more suitable for INSEAD in particular. I will be applying for January 2016 intake with 1st deadline of 4th march 2015.

Regards,
Aditya
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi Aditya,

I believe I was just responding to you on another board!

Also for more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: http://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php