If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
ShrutiK191
Forum Guests

Profile Evaluation

by ShrutiK191 Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:29 am

Hi
I gave the GMAT this morning and got 700. Though ecstatic about reaching 700, I am not sure if the score is as good as it is appearing to me.
Profile :
Indian, Female, IT
GMAT - 700
BCA - 78% (from a government university)
MCA - 71% (from a top government university in India)

Internship - Samsung Electronics ( 6 months)

Work Exp : 36 months by the time I would start the MBA course.
Working as android mobile application developer with Samsung Electronics.
Achievements :-
- Got promoted to being a permanent employee
- Developed an idea which got accepted and included in the Samsung android mobile phones and tablets.
- Face of the team in India for 1 region overseas.
- Managed the team and constantly coordinated with international counterparts of that 1 region.
- International experience of business coordination while working in South Korea for 4 months.
- Worked as a Technical trainer and trained the intern who now has been accepted as the permanent employee in the company.

Extra-curricular :
- Worked as project assistant on projects related to environment awareness, event organizations, fund raising in an NGO for 3 years.
- currently working with another NGO.
- 3 awards for scoring highest marks in 3 subjects in the undergrads.
- Ranked 32nd all over India in the MCA entrance exam conducted by the top government institute and given by almost 2,00,000 candidates.
- 1 publication - an analysis of corporate usage of web 2.0
- presented that paper in an international conference
- was a district gymnastic player in school (won bronze in district gymnastic competition).
- organized and managed the technical and cultural festivals in college.

Please help me by evaluating the profile.
Also, please suggest which all colleges I should apply.

Thanks. :)
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Profile Evaluation

by mbamissionjenK Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for posting and sharing your profile.

So far it sounds like you have the following strengths:

-solid academics
-analytical/quant and project management skills
-respectable progress and achievements during your work experience
-specific impact you can cite (such as contributing to the tablets/phones)
-experience leading others
-NGO/community involvement and commitment
-some international experience
-schools are often looking for qualified female applicants

Your 700 GMAT is fairly neutral; a bit below the averages at top global programs and a bit lower than the average for many Indian engineering/IT/developer applicants. You could go either way with it-- re-take once more if you have time just to see if you can go higher, since schools take the highest score, or if there's not a lot of time, just focus on your essays.

Challenges--
-there are many applicants with somewhat similar backgrounds; it can be tough to stand out and be remembered and show what YOU have vs other candidates
-could have stronger community involvement

Unsure of...
-your goals/rationale for the MBA (which is relevant to admission!)
-essays/recs/interview

I would aim for schools outside the top 10-15 for best chances, but there are many factors to consider when choosing schools.
For more on choosing schools, check out our free download at: http://info.mbamission.com/Selecting-Yo ... ram-E-Book.

Let us know how else we can help!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php